The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (49shep, 3B, 593ETow, bigedpa, 2 invisible), 233 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,910
Posts960,371
Members43,513
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Heater parts identification
#1354988 Mon Apr 13 2020 04:01 PM
K
Kiwinz Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I have a 57 3200. Ive been researching the heater parts and workings to get it freshened up. But I still have a little confusion. I know this this a deluxe heater because of the control panel, but often I see deluxe heaters referencing a valve internal of the heater box? I have the valve in my heater hose lines that go to the firewall (engine side) and the cable to control. The heater controls are not all hooked up and I was getting too much heat last summer no matter how I moved the controls. Not all the levers have anything hooked to them. So I am hoping I just need a new valve (in the hose) and some new cables. But before I start buying parts, could someone confirm that this looks correct, or do I have a miss match of parts on this truck (as in Deluxe lever control, but standard heater)? I also have the 2 knobs for the pull levers mounted below the deluxe lever control. Im assuming these should be for fresh air?

I know it should be simple to research this and find how they work, but somehow its not making sense to me.

Attached Files
IMG_0943.jpg (23.05 KB, 154 downloads)
IMG_0946.jpg (39.09 KB, 158 downloads)
IMG_0941.jpg (29.54 KB, 154 downloads)

57 Chevy 3200
Re: Heater parts identification
Kiwinz #1355099 Tue Apr 14 2020 05:40 AM
D
Shop Shark
Kiwinz
I just finished totally refurbishing a deluxe heater for my 57 3100. I would recommend you get a copy of '57 Accessories installation manual for cars and trucks'. Has a lot of very helpful information on installing & adjusting all heater components including cables.
You have a deluxe heater.
The valve you show is not original but many trucks have this style valve in lieu of an inoperative Ranco valve
Additionally, I found a tutorial by a fellow stovebolter, that was extremely helpful to me.
I will see if I can find it again & PM it to you if you, if you'd like. Please advise.
delky dave in wyo

1957, 3100, v8
1990 Suburban
delky #1355350 Wed Apr 15 2020 03:57 PM
K
Kiwinz Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thank you for the reply delky. Yes I would be very appreciative if you could pm me a link to the article. Also thanks for the clarification about the valve. I’d looked at lots of images and couldn’t make sense of how I had a mix if items. So I’ll look up the Ranko valve and see what that’s about. I’m not worrying about the original look so much as I’d like to have a functioning heater that works in winter and doesn’t throw heat out in summer. Thanks!

57 Chevy 3200
Kiwinz #1355351 Wed Apr 15 2020 03:59 PM
K
Kiwinz Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Also, where do I get a copy of the 57 accessories installation manual?

57 Chevy 3200
Kiwinz #1355425 Wed Apr 15 2020 10:37 PM
D
Shop Shark
Kiwinz
replacement of the under hood valve will go along way towards correcting your issues. I've seen these valves discussed here on stovebolt several times and considered going that way on my deluxe but wanted to go org, so went with new Ranco. I have seen valves like your underhood valve all over on amazon & ebay etc..... and they are reasonably priced & may be the best way to go in the long run.
Good luck
delky dave in wyo

1957, 3100, v8
1990 Suburban
Kiwinz #1355430 Wed Apr 15 2020 10:52 PM
B
General Purpose
Delky is right on with advice. The heater is very simple. You probably know all this already:
You have 4 levers. One is just an electrical switch for fan motor. Three are cable. Two of those operate "flappers" inside the sheet metal. One for choosing outside air or recirculating inside air. The other flapper distributes air to cab or defrost. The last cable operated an internal valve. It is just a water valve. More water, more heat. Less water, less heat. On your truck this internal has been abandoned/bypassed in favor of an inline, cheaper, and easier to install, valve. That valve you have could be operated by your dash knob/lever or a separate method.
Some valves have a temperature sensing feature, I think. Not necessary. Your outside valve is fine. Obviously you can observe these workings by just finding the cables and the flappers.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Kiwinz #1355431 Wed Apr 15 2020 10:55 PM
ace skiver

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]

Moderated by  ndkid275 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop