The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 members (PapaDisco, BC59, Hotrod Lincoln, Lightholder's Dad, dougs, 1 invisible), 191 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,045
Posts970,423
Members43,829
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Patch Panel Gauge
#1355120 Tue Apr 14 2020 01:25 PM
B
bigedpa Offline OP
Shop Shark
'46 Chevy 1/2 ton

What gauge are you folks using for patch panels? I have read on various sites 18, 19, and even 20 gauge. I assume that being older vehicles, they would have used a thicker gauge, but does mixing thinner and thicker gauges create welding and finishing issues? Other questions are cold rolled vs hot rolled, and aluminized or non-aluminized? Also, what supplier are you using? Obviously local supply is one thing, I'm 30 min north of Philly, but are you getting good materials from a national supplier/ having it shipped to you? Have you had much luck re-purposing steel from other vehicles? I've got an old set of bedsides that are beat up (46 short bed), but was thinking of cleaning up the straight bed sides and using that as patch material where and when I can.

As always your time, and input, is greatly appreciated.

Big Ed

"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."
Re: Patch Panel Gauge
bigedpa #1355130 Tue Apr 14 2020 02:25 PM
M
Shop Shark
Ed, typically sheet metal is going to be 19 gauge, and definitely cold rolled.. Even the hood I'm working on right now off a 51 F7 is 19 gauge. Best to measure to be sure.. 19 will be around .041, 18 will be around .045-.048 If you need some 19 gauge, Mike Phillips has some in Downingtown, at Phillips Hot Rod and Customs. Tell him Robert sent you.

On the bed sides, flat areas are going to be a challenge to keep flat after welding, but it can be done. Some after market bed sides may be worth their weight in gold after all's said and done...

bigedpa #1355168 Tue Apr 14 2020 05:09 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I found the bed sides to be made of 16 gauge on my '51, for what that's worth. So using bed side material on a different part of the truck is going to be a mismatch in thickness, probably too much. I got a half sheet of 18 gauge for my patch work, and didn't have trouble with thickness differences. 18 gauge is more readily available than 19 gauge. 16 gauge is also pretty readily available, at least up here in the Anchorage area. Shipping costs up here to Alaska are killer, so I went with what was available.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
bigedpa #1355184 Tue Apr 14 2020 05:54 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
I'll grab 18. No problems welding it in.

MPandC #1355262 Wed Apr 15 2020 01:36 AM
B
bigedpa Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks. And thanks for the referral Robert. I didn't know there was a shop down that way Go figure, I was down outside of West Chester yesterday. Would have made the slight detour and stopped by.

"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop