The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (klhansen, KEVINSKI, MikeE, Hotrod Lincoln, 2ManyTrucks, 1 invisible), 228 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,214
Posts980,446
Members44,177
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: *Bugs In My Wood Bed*
olezippi #1354949 Mon Apr 13 2020 12:04 PM
J
Shop Shark
I just finished my bed in my '48 using wood that my wifes uncles had sawed up close to 70 years ago. It was rough-sawn lumber and stored in the barn loft along with piles of other woods.
The wood I chose to use was Cherry Sap Wood which the beetles absolutely adore munching on. After I had the wood all milled down I sprayed it down on both sides with "Bora-Cure" which is basically a solution of boron and glycol. Of course the wood was bare of any finish and the wood soaked it right up. I let the first coat dry and gave it one more application to make sure the wood got a good penetration. The glycol additive really assist the boron to penetrate deep into the wood and after spraying both sides and ends with the product I'm hoping it will work. After it dried I sanded the wood down with 220 grit sandpaper and began applying my Tung-oil finish. The worm holes produced a patina in the finished work that I really liked and being it was from the family farm even made it more special.

Attached Files
IMG_3064.jpeg (149.63 KB, 127 downloads)
olezippi #1355003 Mon Apr 13 2020 04:50 PM
P
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by olezippi
Just found out I have Powderpost Beetles in my wood. My research says that Borate is needed to kill them. I know I should not be getting out due to the Covid-19 lock down but I can't let them eat my bed up. They are working fast. I can wipe away the dust and 10 minutes later it's back.

It does look like you have powder post beetles. They can be a problem with wood that has not been kiln dried. Borates work, but they will not soak into the wood with that finish you have applied to the surface. Given the situation you have, I would try to "fumigate" them in a sense of the word. Try spraying the impacted surface with some kerosene trying to get the liquid to seep into the galleries (holes). The petrochemical has a pretty lethal vapor that may kill them if they are deprived of oxygen. Apply in the shade and let sit for a while before wiping the surface clean. Monitor and reapply if necessary, but hopefully the beetles infested the wood while in storage and you can eliminate the problem with your "bed bugs".

olezippi #1356480 Tue Apr 21 2020 09:18 PM
O
Shop Shark
Well....I sprayed the top and bottom of my bed with Wasp and Hornet spray and haven't seen any activity in days. Maybe that did the trick.

Attached Files
20200413_113733.jpg (55.83 KB, 52 downloads)
Last edited by olezippi; Tue Apr 21 2020 09:18 PM.

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
https://zippi6.wixsite.com/adtruck

olezippi #1356555 Wed Apr 22 2020 04:34 AM
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
Glad it worked for you Zip!

I did that once to myself...

My wife and I were traveling in Thailand and were staying at a place near “the Bridge” on the River Kwai. I like WW2 history so I kind of steered us that way. 😉 Anyway, after traveling all day and into the night, when we arrived we were exhausted. Now, my wife has a lot higher standards than I do when it comes to hotels/hostels/campsites, etc, and when we got into our room I looked at the beds and said, “Nope.”

She, however, was way too tired she said to deal with it and proceeded to get into one of the little single beds. So, I removed all the bedding on my single bed, threw the pillows in the corner, and then unloaded a can of bug spray onto that bed before I lay down in it with my towel.

Well, I woke up with the worst hangover I’d ever had and I wasn’t even drinking! The DEET in that spray buggered me up. But I had 0 bed bug bites! My wife had over 70. It was pretty gross. My towel stayed right where it was! The sun coming up really showed us how bad it was. Ahhh, traveling stories about bugs. 😃

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop