The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (66rollback, Drew54, ccanepa50, DennisM, DougH6100, 1 invisible), 205 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,144
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Paint Question for DIYers
#1353286 Sat Apr 04 2020 02:18 PM
K
Kerwin Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
For those who are doing their own basic priming and painting, just wondering what products you are using? I'll hopefully be ready to paint my 59 project this summer and just want to get an idea of what people are using for their paint systems. I'm hoping to find something that's forgiving for the novice but still allows for custom mixed colors, but is also affordable as this project is going back to working as a farm truck, so I'm looking for "driver" quality results if that makes sense. Probably too much to ask, but I'm a cockeyed optimist at heart. I've been working my way up from painting tractors and farm equipment, so have the painting equipment and air in the shop needed.

Re: Paint Question for DIYers
Kerwin #1353300 Sat Apr 04 2020 03:57 PM
Boltergeist
Kevin, i have not built a "show" vehicle and have always had good luck with the "shop line" of paints with good results.
"the paint is only as good as the painter"........"the painter is only as good as the paint"

I used Nason shop line on my 37 years ago and it has held up very well.

I am currently working on my 50 coupe and using a brand I had never heard of from my little towns "paint specialties". I'm currently using WANDA which I had never heard of. You can google it and read about it. So far I am tickled with the way it lays down and looks.

just my .02 for this trip.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Kerwin #1353315 Sat Apr 04 2020 05:56 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I've only gotten to the primer stage, but am using NAPA/Martin Senour epoxy (their #302, IIRC), and have had good results with it. It does depend on equipment used and technique, as does any paint. My first try was with a compressor was too small to keep up with the gun demand, and had some issues, but once I replaced that compressor with a capable one, things went a lot better.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Kerwin #1353321 Sat Apr 04 2020 06:23 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
I've been using Southern Polyurethanes. Epoxy primer. Easy to spray, easy to sand, easy to coat. $200 will get you 2 sprayable gallons. They will ship to your door if you don't have a jobber near by. Unfortunately, they just temporarily closed their doors due the the COVID stuff. Hopefully, they can reopen soon! Southern Polyurethanes [southernpolyurethanes.com]

"In response to the Covid-19 Pandemic and Georgia's shelter in place request we have decided to temporarily suspend operations.

If you are a new customer and looking for a distributor you can email orders@spipaint.com with your shipping zip code and we will respond with distributor info shortly.

Thanks!"

Kerwin #1353475 Sun Apr 05 2020 03:08 PM
Wrench Fetcher
I have been using Omni paint and primer for quite a few years and am happy with the results. It is a PPG brand but is considerably cheaper than PPG paint.

'66 C60 body, '97 C6500 chassis, '07 LBZ Duramax with Allison 1000
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cxwv1C6Ay2oxYH7u7
Kerwin #1353514 Sun Apr 05 2020 05:33 PM
P
Shop Shark
If your not looking for perfection you can try the stuff I used .

I got my paint from Home Depot , primer is an Acrylic epoxy paint that you might find in the household paint section as it is used for concrete floors as well .
It dilutes with water I get out of water bottles which you will need to do as its to thick to flow through a spray gun out of the can , about 10 % worked for me but experiment for yourself. It went on well,covered well and just a light sanding got it smooth enough for a finish coat. About $50. CDN a gallon .
For the finishing paint again Home Depot , I decided to go with BEHR latex exterior house paint, the stuff they use for siding and such.
I used this stuff about 4 years ago . When I bought my truck some patches had been put in and primed in some spots but not others so I bought some BEHR
paint which I could match close to the original color in a flat paint. They have 5 or 6 different finishes ranging from flat to high gloss , but flat hides flaws better.
I did a quick sanding , in some places to bare metal and used 2 quarts to paint the complete truck over the bare metal , light rust and original paint.
I wasn't to fussy as this was a temporary fix .Well here we are 4 years later and the spots where I painted over pin hole size rust marks are starting to show through
but where I painted over bare metal all is fine.
Now I'm in the process of repainting, and sanding of this paint has become a chore , its on there good .
By the way when I painted this truck 4 years ago my total cost including tape and incidentals was about $ 100.
I don't think if I was building a show truck that I would use this paint , nor would I attempt to paint it myself , but for a daily driver or some one trying to do touch ups
on faded paint this might work. I did at one point spray a can of automotive clear coat over this paint as an experiment and it stuck well, no negative affects on the
latex paint.

Good Luck

John

good planning is no substitute for dumb luck
Kerwin #1353537 Sun Apr 05 2020 07:26 PM
M
Shop Shark
Another option to consider is to contact Chad Sperry at Auto Rod Technologies https://www.autorodtechnologies.com/ in Michigan. He is a jobber for SPI products and if you're doing BC/CC he might be able to fix you up with a quality base coat. Very fair pricing. autorodtech@gmail.com

Kerwin #1353565 Sun Apr 05 2020 09:20 PM
J
Shop Shark
That's a question with different answers. Are you considering base coat/clear coat, catalyzed or non-catalyzed, acrylic, urethane, plain old enamel, lacquer, what? You mentioned driver quality on a farm. If you're looking for a single-stage paint that goes on nicely and dries tack-free fairly quickly, like 66rollback mentioned, I've had good luck with OMNI/MAE with hardener. WEAR A GOOD MASK. The hardener is tough stuff and can mess up your lungs like crazy but the paint is nice to work with and covers well. You don't need a lot of pressure to shoot it, either. Good luck.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Kerwin #1353566 Sun Apr 05 2020 09:26 PM
ace skiver
Jon's advice to WEAR A GOOD MASK is excellent/important.

Maybe some members can make suggestion on appropriate masks/breathing-equipment?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
tclederman #1353587 Sun Apr 05 2020 10:38 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by tclederman
Maybe some members can make suggestion on appropriate masks/breathing-equipment?
I bought a 3M Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 6300 (can't buy one on Amazon right now, though, and probably very few places) along with 3M 6001 Organic Vapor cartridges that clip on. When I was primering outside with the mask on, I couldn't smell a thing. But when I walked away and took the mask off, the odor was immediately there. They work and are good protection.
You can also get N95 particulate filters (3M Particulate Filter 2071) for the mask for dusty work. (Again, those may be hard to come by currently. I paid $8.95 for 6 pair of those back in 2015, and I see them for $25 + shipping now, and they're on backorder. ohwell )

Last edited by klhansen; Sun Apr 05 2020 10:38 PM.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop