The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (Hotrod Lincoln, BC59, dougs, Greg_H, buoymaker, 1 invisible), 176 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,045
Posts970,422
Members43,829
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Soundproofing
#1352115 Sat Mar 28 2020 05:55 PM
R
Reup Offline OP
New Guy
After four years in the making and more money than I care to think about, I'm pretty happy with the restoration of my 66' C10 Shortbox except for one thing, the road noise!!! I know some of it's my own fault (two quite loud glass-pack mufflers). But what can I say? I'm a child of the 50's when dual exhaust and a pair of roaring Smittys were all the rage!!! But still, trying to listen to my stereo system at anything over 40 mph is pretty much a lost cause.

The new carpet was installed using some sound proofing pads from LMC as well as the usual felt carpet pad. The entire floor is covered and up to the rear window behind the seat. (The gas tank has been removed and placed between the frame rails under the bed.) Since, I have purchased enough Dynamat Xtreme sound proofing to do the doors and the floor. So far I have covered the kick panels (leaving the vents open) and the back side of the removable door panels. The holes in the actual door are too small to do much inside the doors.

I plan to take the seat out, take up the carpet and pad, remove the heater box and firewall pad, and cover the entire surface with the Dynamat sound proofing.

But you know, I was born in 1939 (do the math) and I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be worth all that work. My back aches just thinking about it!!! Doing the kick panels and the removable door panels hasn't produced any results that I have noticed. Maybe I should just purchase a pair of cheap ear plugs and be happy. Any input on this matter would be appreciated.

Last edited by Reup; Sun Mar 29 2020 01:36 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Larry Reuppel
Re: Soundproofing
Reup #1352141 Sat Mar 28 2020 08:25 PM
W
Master Gabster
You probably have it as quite as its going to be. Most noise over 40-50 mpg is wind noise. These trucks were not made to be quite.
I know what you mean about the 50,s. I was born in 34 & it is tough working on these trucks anymore.
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Reup #1352178 Sun Mar 29 2020 01:34 AM
R
Reup Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks for the reply, George. Hope we don't run out of Tylenol before I get my truck finished!!!

Larry

Larry Reuppel
Reup #1352280 Sun Mar 29 2020 08:36 PM
Shop Shark
Larry,

Have you done the rubber in the door jambs? How about all the window seals? You didn't say in your post above.
Adjusting the doors so that they close firmly and seal up is about the only other thing that can be done.
Like Wrench said, they are not quiet trucks.
I did all the same sound deadening that you have done, and the difference is amazing over what it was when I first got this truck, but it is not as quiet as my '06 Dodge.

62Stick #1352432 Mon Mar 30 2020 05:34 PM
R
Reup Offline OP
New Guy
Dave

Thank you for the input on soundproofing my 66'. Not sure what you meant by "the rubber in the door jambs". In the restoration process all new door weatherstrips and window channels were installed. I particularly liked the "no glue" door weatherstrips. At highway speed I do not detect any cold air coming in except a little through the kick panel vents because they don't seal up 100%. When I installed the Dynamat soundproofing on the kick panels, I didn't what to cover up the vents as I don't have air-conditioning. So I guess I'll just have to live with that.

I think I agree with George (Wrenchbender Ret.), most of the noise at highway speed is just wind noise. It's just the way they were made!!!

Larry Reuppel
Reup #1353137 Fri Apr 03 2020 06:42 PM
Boltergeist
...where does your dual exhaust exit the truck. I once had the problem on a late model. If the exhaust pipes are turned to the outside, behind the wheel, you may be getting some exhaust noise from your type of mufflers?
..just a thought.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Reup #1353257 Sat Apr 04 2020 06:02 AM
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Reup
Dave

Thank you for the input on soundproofing my 66'. Not sure what you meant by "the rubber in the door jambs". In the restoration process all new door weatherstrips and window channels were installed. I particularly liked the "no glue" door weatherstrips. At highway speed I do not detect any cold air coming in except a little through the kick panel vents because they don't seal up 100%. When I installed the Dynamat soundproofing on the kick panels, I didn't what to cover up the vents as I don't have air-conditioning. So I guess I'll just have to live with that.

I think I agree with George (Wrenchbender Ret.), most of the noise at highway speed is just wind noise. It's just the way they were made!!!

Rubber in the door jambs was referring to the weatherstrips you replaced. Sounds like you got the doors adjusted well if you have no cold air coming in. Those vents will never seal up completely, it's the way they were designed. Sounds like you have done about as much as you can. These trucks were never meant to be luxury car quiet. Most of the time they were just old farm trucks and never saw much over 40mph, not much noise at that speed. they can do more with no problem, they just get noisy.

I think Achipmunk may be on to something there with his exhaust question. I had Glasspacks on my old '63 longbed, but the pipes went all the way back. I built that one in the '70's. I built my '62 in this century. It is a shortbed with the pipes turned out just behind the cab, under the side step. Thankfully. I don't have glasspacks any more. I went with Flowmasters this time around.

Reup #1353519 Sun Apr 05 2020 05:59 PM
O
Shop Shark
I'm thinking about skipping all the soundproofing products and going for an aviation style solution:

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/david-clark-h10-13s-headset-stereo.html

Wire some stereo jacks & a push to talk switch under the dash. Could be pretty cool!?

'59 Chevy Suburban, NAPCO
Reup #1354777 Sun Apr 12 2020 04:13 PM
W
Wrench Fetcher
One of the big mistakes that most builders of pickups do is to put the mufflers under the cab and exhaust pipes exiting near the rear wheels.
I generally have the mufflers on a pickup, regardless of what kind of mufflers they are, placed as far under the bed, away from the passenger area, with the pipes extending out under the rear bumper.
The mufflers on my '64 are chambered stock type with 2-1/4" pipes running all the way to the bumper. The inside of my '64 is very quiet, I used a lot of Danamat and/or Road-Kil on the floors etc. I also added weatherstrip rubber on the upper edge of the door where it meets the A pillar.. The Delux C series AC equipped camper specials came with this added door seal.
Of course when the truck gets above 65 mph the wind noise really picks up.
I generally drive my '64 with the windows up and the AC on, makes a big difference in the wind noise.

Wm L #1354961 Mon Apr 13 2020 01:43 PM
R
Reup Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks for your reply, Wm L. I removed the seat, heater box, fuse panel, firewall pad, carpet and carpet pad. Then I cleaned up all the glue from the last carpet installer and have just finished covering everything with Dynamat Extreme including the kick panels and firewall up as far as possible. I have also covered the back side of the removable door panels with Dynamat. I would like to put some of the Dyanmat inside the doors as well but the access holes are pretty small to do that.

But I am not familiar with what you called Road-Kil. Is that a specific brand of sound- deadner or just a generic term?

I like your idea of moving the mufflers back from under the cab as far as possible. My exhaust pipes do come straight out the back. Is the Camper Special weatherstrip you mentioned available someplace?

Thank you.

Larry Reuppel
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Hambone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop