The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (55 SHAKER, 51sub, 1953 panel, hardshell, DennisM, dands, 1 invisible), 166 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,976
Posts969,815
Members43,809
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Insalling Courtesy Lights
#1351518 Wed Mar 25 2020 02:04 AM
R
Reup Offline OP
New Guy
Help!!! I am trying to install a Painless Courtesy Light Kit in my 1966 Chevy C10. If I drill a hole in the door jamb for the light switch it just goes into what I will call a blind cavity with no way to fish the wire through to the lamps. I know I've seen a video or something a long time ago showing how to take the small corner cowl piece off from above and drill a hole down from the top of the cowl to fish the wire in but I cannot find it again. I sure would appreciate any help on this.

Last edited by Reup; Wed Mar 25 2020 11:56 PM.

Larry Reuppel
Re: Insalling Courtesy Lights
Reup #1351543 Wed Mar 25 2020 10:56 AM
Shop Shark
Moderator - Please move this to the 60-66 page.

4 bolts. Open hood to access 2 of them. Open the door and with an extension, grab the other 2. It will be shimmed and those shims will fall out. Take a note of where and how many so you can get the cowl flush again when reinstalling. There is a pretty good picture in the LMC catalog that shows the cowl. If you put a hole there the cab will leak there. You will want to seal it well. Post a picture and maybe we can work this out together.
Based on your description - are you trying to mount into the front of the door panel or into the cab?

Last edited by Hambone; Wed Mar 25 2020 10:57 AM.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures on Photobucket [s160.photobucket.com]

1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Reup #1351554 Wed Mar 25 2020 12:23 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Larry, welcome. Please take a few minutes and look around the site. Stovebolt is broken down into several mini-forums covering specific areas of your truck. Pick the forum that covers what you want to ask about and post away. Your introduction in the DITY Forum was interesting and many of us have been down the same road.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Reup #1351761 Thu Mar 26 2020 04:43 PM
R
Reup Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks for the welcome!! It'll take me a while to figure this all out.

Larry Reuppel
Re: Insalling Courtesy Lights II
Reup #1351856 Fri Mar 27 2020 02:52 AM
R
Reup Offline OP
New Guy
Any Electrical Engineers in the house? Thanks to Hambone's suggestions, I got my Painless Courtesy Light Kit (#30702) installed by drilling down through the cowl. Now for the wiring. Each light has two wires coming from it, a white and a black. I ran the black wire from each light to its respective door jamb switch. Then I tied the white wires from each light together and tapped them into the orange wire coming from the headlamp switch to the dome light. Everything worked great...Individually. Open the driver's door and the driver's side courtesy light comes on; open the passenger side door and that light comes on; turn the headlamp switch to the left and the dome light comes on.

But...I had hoped I could wire it so if you opened either door, both the courtesy lights would come on. And if I turned the dome light switch on, both courtesy lights would come on. But I don't see how that can happen because when either door is closed, it doesn't matter where the power comes from since that circuit is broken by the door jamb switch!! I would be happy with what I have now except upon two different phone calls to the Painless Tech Department, they assured me that it can be wired to do all these other things!!! I'm thinking it must take a much more sophisticated kit that what I have.
Any input would be appreciated.

Larry Reuppel
Reup #1351864 Fri Mar 27 2020 03:21 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
In order to have either door opening turn on both lights, you need to wire the door switches in parallel. In other words, run a black wire between the black wires on each door switch. That way when either switch closes, (open the door), both lights will come on. Is the dome light coming on when either door opens the way you have it wired now?

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Reup #1351967 Fri Mar 27 2020 07:35 PM
R
Reup Offline OP
New Guy
No, the dome light does not come on when either door is opened. If possible I would like to have it so when I turn the dome light on from the headlamp switch, both of the courtesy lamps would also come on. Than you, Klhansen, for the tip on running a black wire between the two existing black wires. I think I see it now, that way the current goes back to the door that is open thereby completing the circuit on the closed door light!!

Larry Reuppel
Reup #1351972 Fri Mar 27 2020 08:19 PM
Larry,
Here's' a way you can wire them up. The little triangular thingy is a diode that acts like a check valve for electricity. Allows current flow in one direction, but not in the opposite. It will light up the courtesy lights with the dome light switch, but not the dome light with the door switches. You may have to flip the diode end for end if it doesn't work that way. If you leave that out (just a wire instead), all the lights will come on when any switch is closed.
Hope that helps.

Attached Files
Courtesy light wiring.jpg (12.49 KB, 59 downloads)

Kevin
Reup #1352009 Sat Mar 28 2020 01:02 AM
Shop Shark
Not sure that is correct. Functionally it would work if wired that way. However, most door switches use a switched ground, not a switched power. Power is usually routed directly to the light and the switches control the path to ground. Reverse you polarity and it should work fine. Diode may need to be flipped, I didn't look close enough once I saw it was using switched power. Great concept, just not for this application.

Reup #1352011 Sat Mar 28 2020 01:26 AM
The dome light switch is fed power thru the headlight switch, correct? If the courtesy lights are switched ground, then you're right it they woudn't work together unless you feed power thru the door switches. Yes, the diode direction is dependent on polarity, and may need to be flipped as I said.
The dome lights could easily work together if the switch and jumper between them are moved to the ground side.

Kevin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Hambone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop