The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (55 SHAKER, BlueChipper, archburycontrol, Bill Trotter, 5 Window 9434, 1 invisible), 184 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,976
Posts969,821
Members43,809
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hign Hump Firewall Piece
#1346435 Fri Feb 14 2020 01:57 AM
W
Shop Shark
I've struck out on getting the firewall piece so far, but it looks like LMC has a reasonably priced repro.
https://www.lmctruck.com/1960-66-ch...n2OxByvKGWHUtMxoO-zg9naQUtxoCbzsQAvD_BwE
Has anyone bought this panel and fit it up yet?

'66 c10 rust bucket, 350 nv4500 stock bellhousing, '85 c30 front suspension, h072 rear axle with 3/4 ton rear coil springs
'67 cj5 225 oddfire motor, time for disc brake conversion, offset rear dana 44, intermediate pedals and steering upgrade
'48 3804 frame and bed + '52 6400 cab and front clip + 4bt, need to put them together
Re: Hign Hump Firewall Piece
whateverpratt #1348500 Mon Mar 02 2020 02:47 AM
C
Wrench Fetcher
I went to salvage and got mine but that was thirty years ago. Wish you luck.

My 1961 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the GalleryMy Webshots Shoebox
whateverpratt #1349573 Wed Mar 11 2020 04:40 PM
M
Shop Shark
I had to drill through every single spotweld to remove the upper cover in order to get ready to swaps trans (we could not get to the bell housing bolts from the bottom) GM used 28 spot welds in less than 2 feet, I kid you not. I'm using caged nuts in 6 locations to fix in place and double sides tape in between those. I had to drill through each one with a 1/8" bit then a step drill, that was some tough metal, burned up or wore out a spotweld cutter. The new repop fits well. The current trans is a 4 speed hydramatic. we are putting in a 700R4. I have the special block adaptor that allows you to mate up another trans.

Attached Files
1.JPG (89.64 KB, 58 downloads)
Last edited by Modelman; Fri Mar 20 2020 03:29 PM.

1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page

Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.

BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Modelman #1351883 Fri Mar 27 2020 04:17 AM
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by chevytrucknut61
I went to salvage and got mine but that was thirty years ago. Wish you luck.

That's what I did, but that was nearly 20 years ago. The wrecking yards I used to go to have all either closed and gone out of business or stopped carrying parts for our old trucks. I haven't found a local yard with anything older than 2000 for a while.

Originally Posted by Modelman
I had to drill through every single spotweld to remove the upper cover in order to get ready to swaps trans (we could not get to the bell housing bolts from the bottom) GM used 28 spot welds in less than 2 feet, I kid you not. I'm using caged nuts in 6 locations to fix in place and double sides tape in between those. I had to drill through each one with a 1/8" bit then a step drill, that was some tough metal, burned up or wore out a spotweld cutter. The new repop fits well. .

Those spot welds were a PITA!

Previous owner swapped out the 3 on the Tree (low hump) for an SM420 4 speed (high hump). Bugger didn't change the hump. He just screwed some sheet tin over the whole works and called it good. What a nightmare!
Plenty more wrong with his work, but that's another story.

Parts can be found. It's a pain, and it may require shipping, but they are still out there. The back half is easy. Nothing to change there.

Moderated by  Hambone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop