The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (den-den, 68ironhead, HandyAndy, archburycontrol, canuck49, 1 invisible), 233 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics118,966
Posts952,249
Members43,300
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
EcoTech engines
#1351739 Thu Mar 26 2020 01:11 PM
M
MikeE Offline OP
Shop Shark
Been on the hunt for a modern truck and have questions about the engine in my 2009 Burb. I was told there were several phases of development in getting these engines to fully live up to their potential. Specifically that the early engines used a lot of oil due to the AFM system that turned off cylinders periodically to save fuel. The problems associated with this are excessive oil use fouled plugs from what I have read. One solution I have heard is to turn off the AFM and use all 8 cylinders all the time. Anybody know anything about this?

1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
My Webshots Album
Re: EcoTech engines
MikeE #1351762 Thu Mar 26 2020 04:53 PM
Socket Breaker
chevytalk.org

MikeE #1351765 Thu Mar 26 2020 05:03 PM
K
Shop Shark
Last year, I replaced the 5.3 in my wife's 2007 Tahoe, due to problems with lifters on two separate cylinders (1 and 6). Engine had about 208,000 miles on it. Went back with a new GM engine.

About two months ago, replaced the AFM engine in my 2008 Silverado (212,000 miles) with a new Jasper engine. Same lifter problem as the Tahoe. Except Jasper makes a non-AFM engine, comes with a Diablo code reader, that allows you to re-program your computer, so it knows you ain't AFM anymore.

From my research, the AFM engines from 2007 thru 2014 were all the same design....a huge piece of crap, and I agree 100% with that......it's not IF you're gonna have problems, it's WHEN.

Starting in 2015, GM re-designed the AFM system, and they certainly needed to, and from I have seen and read, the new design has had no problems.

Both these vehicles used a little oil, and I never could figure out why. It wasn't burning it and there were no leaks. Come to find out that with those 4 cylinders not in use (1, 4, 6, and 7 I believe), the engine acted as a vacuum and oil was allowed to be sucked out and through those cylinders when there was no firing/compression on them. Very minutely of course, but still it was happening.

It is also my understanding that you cannot just turn off the AFM. I've seen modules you plug into the code port under the dash that supposedly turns it off, but you might research that.

I have been told you can go with the new 2015 designed AFM engine in the earlier vehicles, but I ain't sure about that. Computer would have to be re-programmed for that, but still possible I suppose.

You can google it and read hundreds of horror stories about the early AFM engine. But there a few out there that have never had a problem also.

I am extremely satisfied with my Jasper engine. Glad I went that route.

Last edited by kades51; Thu Mar 26 2020 08:40 PM.

Mike

1951 3100 5 window
MikeE #1351812 Thu Mar 26 2020 10:14 PM
M
MikeE Offline OP
Shop Shark
Kades51, I just dodged the bullet and bought a 2015 Silverado that I selected over a 2014. Thanks for the information.

1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
My Webshots Album

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop