The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
23 members (D B Cooper, AD8, cmayna, 57 Apache Stock, BC59, 48bigtrucks), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,515
Posts956,960
Members43,424
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Brake drum source
Spotbiltxo #1351634 Wed Mar 25 2020 07:58 PM
E
Shop Shark
At some point because of problems like this(good drums) we should start considering disc brakes, since almost all parts are readily available.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
EdPruss #1351640 Wed Mar 25 2020 08:42 PM
ace skiver
Originally Posted by EdPruss
At some point because of problems like this(good drums) we should start considering disc brakes, since almost all parts are readily available.
Ed

should consider?, or, might have to consider?

My 1954 3100 brake drums/parts are in excellent condition.
Over the past 25 years, I keep/kept my my eyes open for used/usable brake drums.
I have two spare sets of usable brake drums.

I hope my grandchildren will not have to worry about replacements.
(when I am gone in 30 years - I plan to live until 100, encouraged by Denny Graham).

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE [1954advance-design.com] - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Spotbiltxo #1351652 Wed Mar 25 2020 09:36 PM
Shop Shark
I wonder how successful one might be at heating up a worn out drum and doing some makeshift spray welding into it to build it up
The material doesn’t need to be super strong or well adhered right?
I’ve thought about how I might do this on my own without much investment
I have many garbage drums to practice on

If anyone else had tried it or knows how
Please share
Thanks
-s

Spotbiltxo #1351661 Wed Mar 25 2020 10:32 PM
H
Boltergeist
The essential part of any brake drum is its ability to transfer heat, evenly and rapidly from the friction surface where the linings contact it to the outside of the drum where the airflow over the drum can blow it away. I'd be a little reluctant to bet my life on something that had been built up and re-machined to have the same thermal transfer characteristics as an original, unmodified drum. I've heard on several occasions that an average stop from 60 MPH generates and transfers enough heat to melt a 9 inch cast iron skillet. The reason the drums don't overheat and/or melt is the incredible ability of that same cast iron to dissipate the heat to the surrounding air. That's why painting or powder-coating drums is such a dumb idea!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Spotbiltxo #1351679 Thu Mar 26 2020 12:27 AM
Shop Shark
okay that's something to consider
so i followed up on the heat transfer properties, good news!

most common mild steel mig wires, like AWS A5.18 Class ER70S-6, the carbon content is so low that you will be virtually matched in both heat conductivity and capacity to typical cast iron.
only if the carbon content is increased beyond 0.5% do the thermal properties of steel go down hill fast

cast vs mild steel at <0.15% carbon
55 vs 54 W/m*K
456 vs 465 J/Kg*K

now would the friction properties be similar? and if there were voids with slag, how would that change the situation?
-s

Spotbiltxo #1351687 Thu Mar 26 2020 01:14 AM
H
Boltergeist
Good luck getting mild steel to bond to cast iron. You'll need some sort of nickel alloy MIG wire to flow and blend with the cast. That stuff is horrendously expensive. I seem to remember paying around $10.00 a pound for nickel alloy stick welding rod, and that was several years ago. By the time you factor in labor time and materials cost, it won't take long to make a rehabbed drum impractical, at least in a large majority of situations.
Jerry

Spotbiltxo #1351695 Thu Mar 26 2020 01:36 AM
Shop Shark
Spraying gets decent bonding to non dirty casting which I’m assuming the drum is
Spray welding a brake drum is a known process
Just no one does it anymore
There were some restoration shops that did super rare drums for 1910s20s era vehicles

I’m just thinking about how to do it for cheap at home
The bond doesn’t need to be super great
The material added is under shear, the original drum will take the hoop stress.

Anyway I’m not gonna be messing with this process until I’ve exhausted all machine shops in my neck of the woods
Fitting a liner is also an option but machining that is a big delicate project too
-Stan

Spotbiltxo #1351697 Thu Mar 26 2020 01:45 AM
H
Boltergeist
I'm very familiar with spray welding. My father's fellow racers built up crankshaft journals that way to make 4 1/4" stroker crankshafts for flathead Ford round track cars back in the early 1950's. Personally, I wouldn't bet my life on a brake drum repaired that way, nor put others on the road around me in that kind of danger. Racers choose to take the risks involved in their sport. The soccer mom with the minivan full of kids who happens to be ahead of you at a stop sign when a brake drum fails might not be as willing to take that kind of a chance.
Jerry

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop