The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (66flea, 55 SHAKER, Cosmo, AD8, AlpineBolt, 1 invisible), 95 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,562
Posts957,352
Members43,427
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Re: Harbor Freight........What worked?.... What didnt?
DADS50 #1132568 Mon Nov 02 2015 05:51 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
I've gotten a couple of the small 90 degree grinders on sale.. I used three disks before the first one quite ($5.00 well spent). and the other is still on the first disk.

I also have the band saw. It works well, other than the blade coming off occasionally.

I've had a set of large jack stands for a long time.

I stay away from their expendables, most are not worth carrying out of the store... but they are better than the crap they sell at Dollar General!

Last edited by Rusty Rod; Mon Nov 02 2015 05:53 PM.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
DADS50 #1132600 Mon Nov 02 2015 11:08 PM
F
Shop Shark
Oddly enough, the tiny $99 MIG welder I bought from them finally laid down a decent bead! Took quite a bit of tinkering and some good flux cored wire (not from HF), but finally got the wire speed dialed in and figured out that I had the tension set improperly on the wire feeder this whole time. Not surprisingly on my part, but I did get it to lay a bead on some 12 gauge steel (kinda like what's used on the bed of my 52) and will be using it to fill in where the PO decided to half cut the bed side. Still not sure what was going on there, but whatever.

For those interested, here was my welder setup mistake:

The tensioner that feeds the wire through needed to be tightened up to where I could barely get it to flip back over in locked position. The issue was discovered when I was trying to dial in the wire speed for the low voltage setting. I started at the max setting and was working back down. It would feed sporadically at best, so there was a very slight hesitation when the wire would feed through. So slight that the auto darkening helmet I was using (also from HF) wouldn't have time to lighten up. But it was noticeable in both feel and how the bead looked.

f18delta #1133711 Tue Nov 10 2015 12:58 AM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I bought A HF 4-1/4" angle grinder with paddle switch. Has been working well so far except that the tapped hole for the side handle stripped out the first day I used it. After heli-coiling all 3 of them, it works OK. The problem is now I have twice as much in it after buying the heli-coil kit. frown

I looked at HF's wire feed welders briefly, but had a flux-core welder that was basically equivalent. So I upgraded that to a Lincoln Handy-MIG (#K2158-1)from Lowes. Been having good performance out of that, but when I tried to weld some heavier stuff for a friend at high power, it kept tripping the breaker. Not the tools fault.

Also have some HF locking pliers for welding that are Vice-Grip knock offs that work OK.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
DADS50 #1137503 Wed Dec 02 2015 07:46 PM
U
Shop Shark
The blue Bigfoot hand truck is good to go. I've had mine for 4 years and have used it a lot. It was about $40 out the door, and I have no idea what combination of coupon or sale was going on when I bought it.

I gets loaned out frequently to some neighbors & that's what made me think to post it. Edit- here's a link. (As for that 700 lb rating... I'd divide by two)

Brad

Wrench Fetcher, PhD
DADS50 #1349046 Fri Mar 06 2020 06:35 PM
D
DADS50 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Looks like HF has introduced a new pro line

DADS50 #1349053 Fri Mar 06 2020 07:36 PM
T
Shop Shark
Two items I’ve been impressed with are the sawzall and grinder. I’ve had both for 15-18 years and no issues. Also in the same timeframe I’ve had a Milwaukee sawzall and dewalt grinder both go bad while the HF tools just kept working.

DADS50 #1350051 Sun Mar 15 2020 08:36 AM
C
Shop Shark
We used to use HF air tools for final assembly of projects before painting. They were NEVER oiled and had short life spans but this was the planned procedure to keep any oil or other contaminants out of the painting area. Now use all battery powered tools. The HF pneumatic paint can shaker must be at least five years old and still plugging away. Some HF do the job and some are trash can fodder but don't have a list of each. Caveat Emptor.

Evan
DADS50 #1351173 Sun Mar 22 2020 06:02 PM
D
DADS50 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Looks like HF is stepping up

HARBOR FREIGHT
Dear Harbor Freight Community,

As we’ve been following the news over the last few days, we’ve heard about the severe shortage of protective gear for hospitals, healthcare workers and first responders as the impact of COVID-19 is being felt across the country. America depends on these heroes every day and in the days ahead we will depend on them even more. At Harbor Freight, we want them to know that they can depend on us too.

So we’ve decided to donate our entire supply of the personal protective equipment items listed below to front line hospitals with 24 hour emergency rooms in the communities served by our stores.

• N95 Masks
• Face Shields
• 5 and 7 mil Nitrile Gloves
If you work at a hospital with a 24 hour emergency room in need of these items, please ask the office in charge of procurement at your hospital to click here so they can provide us with the information we’ll need to determine if we can make a donation. If you’re not with a hospital, but would like to give us the name of a hospital with a 24 hour emergency room in your community that might need our help, please email us at hospitalhelp@harborfreight.com, identify the hospital’s city and state in the subject line, and our team will follow-up.

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE REQUESTS AT YOUR LOCAL STORE OR OUR CALL CENTER AND PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT HOSPITALS—THEY’RE BUSY HELPING THEIR PATIENTS.

For hospitals we’re able to help, we’ll email them a voucher when the supplies are available for pick up at their local Harbor Freight Tools store.

Although we certainly won’t have enough of these supplies to fill everyone’s needs, we’re going to donate everything we’ve got. We also recognize that there are so many other critically important people responding to this crisis and that there is need everywhere. We’ve chosen to focus our efforts on hospitals with a 24 hour emergency room with the hope that we can help as many people as possible right now.

Thank you and God Bless,

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools

DADS50 #1351177 Sun Mar 22 2020 06:53 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
👍🏻

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

DADS50 #1351193 Sun Mar 22 2020 07:56 PM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Son in law just texted me the HF thing. I didn't even know they sold N95 masks.
Good on them. thumbs_up
Huh... I just browsed around on HF and you can't even order any type of mask or face shield. Some gloves available, but they must be reserving most of that type of supply for their donation.

Last edited by klhansen; Sun Mar 22 2020 08:31 PM.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop