The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (Achipmunk, Brad Allen, DaveMcK38, dands, DennisM, 1 invisible), 119 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,477
Posts956,641
Members43,409
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Brake drum source
Spotbiltxo #1351463 Tue Mar 24 2020 07:30 PM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Bendix brakes used 2" wide front shoes, versus 1-3/4 for Huck on 1/2 ton trucks. Rears were still 1-3/4, but there's probably some other dimension would prevent using Bendix drums on the rear of a Huck system.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Spotbiltxo #1351494 Tue Mar 24 2020 11:38 PM
S
Shop Shark
Thanks Jerry and Klhansen for the replies, but I was hoping for more encouraging news. LOL If the front Bendix drums are wide enough for 2"shoes but the Huck's are only 1 3/4" then I'd think they would work fine as long as the other dimensions were the same. I wonder if buying a '51 Bendix drum locally to compare to my '50 Huck drum would be worth the trouble? Lord knows I've got nothing else to do while sitting inside here during the Covid19 lockdown in San Antonio! Trying to find a FLAPS that's open now would be my challenge.

Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Spotbiltxo #1351496 Tue Mar 24 2020 11:40 PM
H
Boltergeist
At one time I had a master brake parts catalog that had a section with dimensions of parts such as wheel cylinders, master cylinders, shoes, drums, etc. I believe it got discarded when an assistant principal at the school where I was teaching decided to throw out the contents of some filing cabinets without consulting anyone. He trashed several decades' worth of repair manuals and parts books that were absolutely irreplaceable!

With a reference book like that. it might be possible to find a drum that would interchange, but I have no idea where one might be found. I believe that one was either for Wagner-Lockheed, or possibly Raybestos brand parts.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1351500 Wed Mar 25 2020 12:10 AM
ace skiver
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
. . . an assistant principal at the school where I was teaching decided to throw out the contents of some filing cabinets without consulting anyone. He trashed several decades' worth of repair manuals and parts books that were absolutely irreplaceable! . . .
Jerry

My guess is the Asst Principal was a former Phys Ed teacher?

No humanities or shop teacher would have thrown that out. The Shop Teacher would have known better; and, the humanities teacher could never throw out a manual/book.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE [1954advance-design.com] - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Spotbiltxo #1351501 Wed Mar 25 2020 12:16 AM
K
Originally Posted by Spotbiltxo
If the front Bendix drums are wide enough for 2"shoes but the Huck's are only 1 3/4" then I'd think they would work fine as long as the other dimensions were the same.
That might work if there was enough room for the 2" deep drums not to interfere with the backing plates. Doubtful that would happen.

As far as throwing out stuff, I'm always reluctant to do that. Someone will need it at some point.

Stay safe out there.

Kevin
Spotbiltxo #1351503 Wed Mar 25 2020 12:30 AM
H
Boltergeist
If the drum diameter is the same, you might be able to put a 1/4" spacer between the hub and the bolt circle area of the drum. That would shorten the lug stud length a little and space the wheel out slightly, but as long as you can get full engagement of the lug nuts, you might manage to get by with the swap.
Jerry

Spotbiltxo #1351505 Wed Mar 25 2020 12:38 AM
K
Both Huck and Bendix drums were the same nominal diameter (11 inches) for 1/2 tons.

Kevin
tclederman #1351506 Wed Mar 25 2020 12:38 AM
H
Boltergeist
Originally Posted by tclederman
My guess is the Asst Principal was a former Phys Ed teacher?

We had a saying in the Nashville school system- - - - -"A principal is a coach with two losing seasons"! That's not as much of a joke as it might appear to be. School administrators in general tend to be failed teachers who have lips shaped just like the backside of the person a few rungs above them on the "career ladder"!
Jerry

Spotbiltxo #1351603 Wed Mar 25 2020 04:23 PM
S
Shop Shark
I love your brand of humor Jerry!!

Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Spotbiltxo #1351618 Wed Mar 25 2020 06:37 PM
H
Boltergeist
According to several Ebay listings, the same 1/2 ton 11" Bendix brake drum with 6 lugs fits Chevy and GMC from 1951-70, front and rear. It might be worthwhile to source a used drum from a salvage yard and see how much modification would be needed to adapt it to a Huck brake.

Brakes, and a lot of other parts are "dumb"- - - -they don't know what kind of vehicle or year they're mounted on. As long as they can be made to fit, they'll work. Back in the 1970's Dad adapted a set of 1/2" wider brakes to the Rambler Ambassador he used to tow our camping trailer. It made a huge difference in stopping power with the heavy trailer hooked up.
Jerry

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop