The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (Perro, TBUChevy, SNOYL), 223 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,403
Posts973,271
Members43,924
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Import transmission
#1350054 Sun Mar 15 2020 09:11 AM
D
DADS50 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Ive come to own a 2001 Honda Odyssey mini Van a few years ago

In very good shape 155000 miles

Not sure of previous maintenance, Ive been changing oil regularly since Ive been driving it. And have no mechanical issues yet.

My question is on the transmission oil change

Ive been researching this on line and I guess this particular Honda transmission is prone to failure.
One of the articles I read a mechanic suggest when changing the transmission oil to do it a total of 4 times per change, drive about 100 mile between drain in fill

Does,this sound right?
Any of you import mechanics ever hear of such a thing?

Just thought it sounded odd,

Re: Import transmission
DADS50 #1350055 Sun Mar 15 2020 10:59 AM
S
Shop Shark
I've heard the same procedure for Toyota. The theory, as explained to me, is that you don't get all the "old" fluid out when you drain the pan. There is a quantity still left in the internals and converter. Now for another technique that I have used on old Volvos is to disconnect one transmission cooler line and "pump and pour". Discharge the "old" fluid into a marked container (I used a milk container with quarts marked off) and replace the pumped amount with new fluid down the dip stick. I did it in 3 or 4 quart increments. I think it took around 12 quarts before it was pumping new fluid.

SimS

DADS50 #1350065 Sun Mar 15 2020 12:05 PM
Master Gabster
Take it to a transmission shop. They're set up to remove and replace all of the fluid. At least our local tranny shop is so I'm assuming they all have that capability.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
DADS50 #1350098 Sun Mar 15 2020 03:55 PM
M
Shop Shark
Disclaimer; works for me, proceed at your own risk.

DADS50, I've read of the technique you mentioned. The better system is exactly what SimS mentioned. I usually disconnect the transmission fluid outlet line (either at radiator or transmission, whichever is most accessible) slip on a section of clear plastic hose (from Lowes) so I can see what's going on while the hose dumps in a 5 gallon bucket. Then crank the vehicle, let it run at idle until the fluid flow starts to slow. Kill the vehicle, pull the pan, clean the pan and magnet and change the filter. Then add the factory specified full capacity of transmission fluid. Crank and watch the clear hose and you'll see the last of the dark dirty fluid change over to clean new fluid. Shut the engine off and reconnect the transmission fluid line. Check fluid and top off. Then drive till warm and recheck per the manufactures recommendation.

The above has worked for me on many vehicles, including trucks, cars, imports and domestic. I try to do at 50-75k intervals.

added in edit; If I acquire a vehicle that has a lot of miles on the transmission I always add Lubegard after a fluid change. Lubegard Red for GM vehicles, others I go with Lubegard's recommendation. Reason; with high mileage vehicles still running the original fluid, the near microscopic ground up transmission band and clutch wear particles with their added coefficient of friction are often all that's keeping the transmission working. New clean fluid can cause worn bands and clutches to slip, transmission shifts can go from OK to terrible or not at all.

A quality additive with proper friction modifiers can help and sometimes eliminate a shifting problem. In my experience at least. Of course it's not a new rebuild in a can but it can help a weak tranny run for a few 10s of thousand miles.

Good Luck,

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Sun Mar 15 2020 07:50 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

DADS50 #1350111 Sun Mar 15 2020 05:37 PM
D
DADS50 Offline OP
Shop Shark
thanks for the input

I was concerned about the issue with the old fluid

Not knowing about about previous maintenance had me wondering about best way to approach.
The fluid on the stick is still red

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop