The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (5 Window 9434, baldeagle, buoymaker, 49' 3800, 4 invisible), 92 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,512
Posts956,949
Members43,424
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Front Disc Brake conversion problem
#1349555 Wed Mar 11 2020 02:30 PM
R
Shop Shark
I have a 1958 Apache 3100, fully restored, including a Disc Brake conversion for the front axle. Kept drum brakes on the rear. The master cylinder, etc. is mounted below the driver side floorboard. The problem is not that the truck doesn't stop, when I depress the brake pedal, the pedal does not release all the way, will not disengage the brake light switch, causes the brakes to drag and requires me to have to reach down and lift up on the pedal to get the brakes to release. This is very unsafe and not the way I want to enjoy this truck.

Any ideas as to what the problem is and more important how to correct it? The restoration shop that did the brake install with all the rest of the work installed a really big spring to get the pedal to release, but that ain't helping.

Re: Front Disc Brake conversion problem
raleigh58 #1349556 Wed Mar 11 2020 02:40 PM
J
Shop Shark
The master cylinder should have enough spring to push the pedal back, if you have a power booster, it could be faulty. Also check all the pivot points of the brake lever and make sure it's not dragging on something. If you are using a pressure sensing switch for the brake lights, they turn on the lights at very little pressure. My truck would hold the lights on with just the weight of the pedal after stopping. I replaced the switch with an electronic micro switch, I got tired of pulling the pedal up with my foot. I also tried a spring to pull up on the pedal, it didn't help much.

raleigh58 #1349558 Wed Mar 11 2020 02:41 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Make sure the rod from the linkage to the M/C is adjusted properly. Seems the proper adjustment is very critical.šŸ› 

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

raleigh58 #1349563 Wed Mar 11 2020 03:27 PM
R
Shop Shark
I have installed several of the under floor conversion kits. I discovered that the large pivot pin that connects to the pedal and the linkage was oversize and would bind up. I subsequently used the original pin and everything worked OK. I'm not sure this is your problem but it is a possibility.
Fred

raleigh58 #1349567 Wed Mar 11 2020 03:40 PM
R
Shop Shark
Exactly what I was thinking. Hope it is an easy fix! Will first check for binding.

Thanks Fellas

raleigh58 #1349689 Thu Mar 12 2020 02:14 PM
D
Shop Shark
I had the same issue, in my case it was the master ctylinder rod adjustment.
don

Donsz #1349695 Thu Mar 12 2020 02:52 PM
R
Shop Shark
Thanks Don. I had an independent garage look at it and that was one thing they were looking at, but still could not solve my issue. So, the truck is headed back to the restoration shop that installed the new front brake system.

raleigh58 #1349698 Thu Mar 12 2020 03:09 PM
D
Shop Shark
Will the pedal return if you disconnect the yoke?

This test might tell you if your return springs work properly.

I did have to use a different pusher rod on my m.c. I use a manual master cylinder

raleigh58 #1349733 Thu Mar 12 2020 08:25 PM
R
Shop Shark
Dads50,

So to check the spring function, I should disconnect the yoke, have some one depress the brake pedal and me underneath the truck to watch and see if the pedal returns all the way to the "up" or fully released position. Assuming the pedal returns all the way and disengages the brake lights, that should tell me what, the spring is sufficient and there is a fault with the master cylinder?

If the master cylinder plunger does not fully return is there a fix for that or must the entire master cylinder be removed and replaced with a new one requiring bleeding of all the brake lines?

raleigh58 #1349735 Thu Mar 12 2020 09:00 PM
D
Shop Shark
Thats what I was curious about

As a test a few years ago I removed the return springs, A member on this board speculated that you should not need return spring. That the MC would return the pedal.
This was incorrect.

The return spring was needed to activate the stop,switch arm.
When I did this test the brake light stayed on.

Sounds like your issue is with the MC.
But the brake pedal should still return

Just a troubleshooting suggestion

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop