The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (Just Mark, Darling, Hotrod Lincoln, 66flea, Leo, 1 invisible), 95 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,525
Posts1,041,268
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
'Bolter
I know.

Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck

The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Originally Posted by Jon G
What about an increased stroke rotating assembly in the 235, J

With the length of the recycled NASCAR connecting rods I have available for this project, some milling of the 235 block will be required. The same stroked crankshaft can be fitted to a 235 or a 261, as long as you're willing to mill the block down about 1/8" to get the piston close to the top of the block. The 235 ends up around 270 cubic inches, depending on the bore size, and the 261 ends up over 300. When the 216 block is used, no milling is required, but the thrust bearing area of the 235 crankshaft needs to be widened or the main bearing web of the 216 block would have to be narrowed by 3/16". The prototype engine I'm in the process of building up has a widened crankshaft flange.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
B
Shop Shark
Jerry, have you thought about boring the cam bearing hole bigger to use the big journal cams? That is the only way to get a new rather than reground cam, unless they have just recently released a batch of new forgings/castings whatever they are now.

H
No need to do that- - - -I took a junk 235 cam recently, and turned the bearing journals down to 216 size- - - - -it slips right in and turns with no problems. I'm planning on modifying a new Elgin Industries 261 cam to use in the stroker engine. Even with the increased stroke, the NASCAR rods have a smaller cross section than the 216 rods, and there should be more than enough cam lobe clearance.
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

F
'Bolter
I know

B
Shop Shark
the reason I say that is I thought I could do that too. Turns out I had to have the cam reground to fit through the last hole. Then Delta lost my cam, and I ended up with a used reground cam anyway. Like really reground, at least the second time around. Make sure they grind it with enough off the backside to clear all the holes is all I'm saying.

H
HMMMMM- - - - -I'll need to recheck that as I go. The one I machined down fit without any problems. I've got a trashed-out 261 with a cam that's not going to be run in another engine, so I can use it for experimenting with the fit. Thanks for the heads-up!
Jerry

Kris Kristofferson

Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop