The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
Keep your restoration going

Keeping your resto going

A good bit of advice nestled in the FAQ page.
Don't

Irwin Arnstein working on his
1959 Chevy 1-Ton

Read the article.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Mike B, NJC, MNSmith, Hotrod Lincoln, 2 invisible), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,526
Posts1,041,270
Members46,037
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1349145 Sat Mar 07 2020 03:41 PM
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
I'm wondering about how much compression a 216 head can handle without having blown gasket problems. The engine I'm hallucinating about building is going to have a bit over 260 cubic inches in a 216 block, and the increased displacement should bump the compression ratio up into the high 8's or low 9's if my thumbnail calculations are close to correct. I'm thinking about contacting ARP to see if they can supply studs the right length instead of relying on 70+ year old bolts to lock the head down tight onto the gasket. Comments?
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
'Bolter
All I will say is that this forum doesn't seem to be filled with questions concerning blown head gasket issues. Cracked heads yes, blown head gaskets? No.
Folks acquire these trucks with old engines which have been ridden hard put away wet. We get all kinds of questions about all kinds of issues. Lacking from that list of questions is "what do I do about the warped head, or why do I keep blowing head gaskets?"
Given this less than scientific observation, I wouldn't worry about head gasket failure on these tractor engines. It does not seem to be inherent to these engines.
The GM engineers seem to have added enough margin of error in their head/block design, effectively eliminating blown head gasket issues.

Bubba - Curmudgeon
I recall seeing posts about bad 261 head gaskets.

Most likely because of those three pairs of "extra" coolant passage holes (compared to 216s and 235s)?

There is not much gasket material around those holes.

But, I have never had that problem (I believe in the powers or prayer and dumb luck).

Attached Images
261 head gasket.jpg (27.57 KB, 204 downloads)

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
My main concern is that the 216 head has fewer bolts, and whatever information there might be on hotrodding a 216 was probably written by people who make me look like a young sprout! What I'm trying to develop is an engine that will pass the visual inspection of people who know what to look for, 216 VS 235, and crank out torque similar to a 261. It will be basically an increased-stroke 235 rotating assembly hidden inside a 216 block, modified for full-pressure oiling. I'm pretty sure I can squeeze a 261 camshaft with reduced-diameter bearing journals in there as well. I love to build "sleeper" engines that perform way above what they appear to be on the outside. A lot of the engines I built for "claimer" racing on the round tracks fit that category.
Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
Bubba - Curmudgeon
A lot of the engines I built for "claimer" racing on the round tracks fit that category.
Jerry

OK, without doing a search, who knows what "claimer" racing means with respect to auto-racing and horse-racing?

If you know it, do not post the answer - just post "I know"
If you look it up, be honest: do not post the answer.

Go ahead and make "hair brained" guesses.

Tim
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
T
'Bolter
Go ahead and put out a lot of effort, raise the hood at a car show or dragstrip and 99% or more so wouldn’t know the difference no matter what you did or didn’t do to it.

M
'Bolter
Tim, Looks like you just doomed this thread to the Spoon with your Poll question...

Mike B smile

Bubba - Curmudgeon
If this needs to be moved because of my post, would the Moderator simple delete my message?

Thanks

Tim
T
'Bolter
I know

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
J
'Bolter
What about an increased stroke rotating assembly in the 235, J

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end