The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (archburycontrol, 1953 panel, AwDang, 6571, Brad Allen, 2 invisible), 248 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,082
Posts961,737
Members43,550
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: *Servicing A 350 Turbo*
BC59 #1346714 Sun Feb 16 2020 12:57 PM
O
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by BC59
Have them put a good magnet in the pan & fill w/ Dexron VI would be my advise.

I've been running Castrol Transmax DEX/MERC

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
olezippi #1347293 Thu Feb 20 2020 08:45 PM
O
Shop Shark
Well I talked to some of the local boys about what transmission shop treats us AD owners the right way. Made the call today to get a price on fluid change (NO FLUSH OUT), shifter shaft seal replacement, filter, and gaskets. $150 to $200. Thought that was pretty reasonable. I just hate leaving the truck over night.

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
olezippi #1347515 Sat Feb 22 2020 08:22 PM
B
Shop Shark
Leaking pans gaskets are a constant problem with older trannys that someone has messed with. Over tightening the pan bolts will bite one every time. Check to see if the pan bolt holes are convex on the gasket side. If so, hammer and dolly them flat with the pan gasket surface. As stated, a threaded bung hole is a good idea.
Does anyone have a fix for the speedo bullet o ring. I’ve replaced the o ring and remade/modified the cheesy bracket that holds the bullet in. Still get a drip now and again.

Last edited by beltfed; Sat Feb 22 2020 08:33 PM.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
beltfed #1347519 Sat Feb 22 2020 09:30 PM
H
Boltergeist
Originally Posted by beltfed
Does anyone have a fix for the speedo bullet o ring. I’ve replaced the o ring and remade/modified the cheesy bracket that holds the bullet in. Still get a drip now and again.

Try this stuff. It's not like RTV silicone and the other "rubber" sealers- - - -it actually cures to form a gasket. Coat the area of the "bullet" outboard of the O ring after giving the trans case and the insert a good cleaning with solvent. I've used it on places like 18-wheeler drive axle flanges and other hard to seal areas with very good results.

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...ealants/permatex-anaerobic-gasket-maker/

Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
olezippi #1347526 Sat Feb 22 2020 11:05 PM
W
Master Gabster
There is a tiny seal where the gear goes into the bullet. It seems the replacement seals are not very good. The best way to service one is to buy a new whole new bullet assem. They are about $7 & are readily available. Make sure the shaft of the gear is not rough.
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop