The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (49nut, buoymaker, buckaroo01, Bogart's Truck, 631Riccardo, 2 invisible), 258 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,445
Posts973,670
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Steering wheel alignment via Pitman Arm adjustment?
OhioSteve #1346954 Tue Feb 18 2020 02:42 AM
O
Wrench Fetcher
Both caster shims are in place. The other draglink looks like it took a hit straight from below it. It was not only bent but looks like someone hit it with the welder at one time!
The original tie-rod had some curves too. The gas tank looks like it took several shots from stumps over the years. New tank is waiting to go in. The truck spent her life in northern Minnesota, and she was used...

Attached Files
image2 (14).jpeg (32.02 KB, 71 downloads)
image1 (21).jpeg (34.39 KB, 70 downloads)

1948 1/2 Ton 6-volt 216
OhioSteve #1346964 Tue Feb 18 2020 03:55 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
With a drag link that's bent that much, the steering arm on the knuckle might be bent as well as Jerry suggested. You can check for bent steering arms that connect to the tie rod by moving the steering all the way to each side and measuring the angle of each wheel. An alignment shop should have a table that will check that. Should be one of the basic steps in alignment. Or just find a better set of steering arms.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
OhioSteve #1346968 Tue Feb 18 2020 04:17 AM
O
Wrench Fetcher
I'll look into that, but I think I'm good with that part. It does make me curious if after the bent draglink was installed back on, a guy didn't just realize he now had an off steering wheel, and then pulled the wheel off and aligned to compensate... As a result, when I put straight parts on, the wheel then went off from center. I'll know tomorrow after a quick test...MMmm

1948 1/2 Ton 6-volt 216
OhioSteve #1346974 Tue Feb 18 2020 04:46 AM
H
Boltergeist
It's very important that the steering gear is on its "center point" when the wheels are steering straight ahead. Simply getting the steering wheel spokes level doesn't guarantee you won't have some steering wander, as the only place there's zero slack in the steering box is when it's within a very few degrees of steering wheel movement of the center point. Find center by counting turns lock to lock, level the spokes with the splines, adjust the sector preload according to the service manual instructions, lock the steering wheel at dead center, and then go about making the wheels track straight ahead. If they don't do that, something is worn, bent, or assembled incorrectly. Fabricating an adjustable drag link to accomplish that is like giving a brain tumor patient a pain pill to hide his headache- - - - -you're treating the symptom, not the root cause of the problem.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1346976 Tue Feb 18 2020 04:55 AM
O
Wrench Fetcher
Jerry, I think you miss understood> I'm not going to fabricate anything to compensate anything. simply curious about previous compensations by someone else. that's all.
thanks

1948 1/2 Ton 6-volt 216
OhioSteve #1346978 Tue Feb 18 2020 05:07 AM
H
Boltergeist
I was simply mentioning that some people do that- - - - -not that I thought that's what you were suggesting. Unless some sort of radical modification to the original system has been done, like raising or lowering the suspension, installing a dropped axle, or installing wheels with a huge amount of offset or making radical changes in wheel diameter, it shouldn't be necessary to have an adjustable drag link. If the wheels don't end up tracking straight after everything is new and/or properly adjusted, something is bent.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop