The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (3B, '54 3600, 1955 1 Series, canuck49, 1951Chevy1Ton, 2 invisible), 285 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,851
Posts943,067
Members43,059
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Journey with the '53
#1345413 Fri Feb 07 2020 04:14 PM
Tiny Offline OP
Global Mod
When I bought the '53 a year and a half ago, the owner said the displayed miles were accurate (just under 20K at the time). He said the car sat most of it's life and it's a Texas car so the paint and rubber seals were toast. Because it sat so long the rear main seal rusted to the crank and shredded when the engine was started. Consequently the car had/has an oil leak problem. She did a real good job of marking her spot in the garage. As it turns out you have to pull the engine to replace the seal and do it correctly. This week I had the engine and powerglide pulled to get the process started. The transmission went to Fishers transmission for a rebuild because it's been making noise after getting oil starved on a VCCA tour last fall. (I got stuck on a STEEP incline for several minutes waiting for traffic to clear enough I could pull out) The engine went to a club member in Kechi KS who does mechanic work for club members and has all the equipment. Since I don't know the whole history of the car I asked him his opinion on the claimed mileage of the car. He said everything is within .001 of new factory spec. and there's only the tiniest hint of a ring ridge in the cylinders so he says the miles are probably correct. There's rust pitting where the rear main was that will probably emery cloth clean enough for the new seal to hold. If not the crank will have to go to the machine shop. It appears that for most of it's life it's had only water as a coolant so the block is 2/3 full of rust plus the soft plugs were seeping (dripping in one case). That will all get flushed out & the soft plugs replaced. When he gets that done it'll get all new gaskets & seals then run on his test stand for a couple of hours to make sure all the leaks are fixed. When he gives the OK and Fishers is done with the tranny I'll haul it to the shop to be reinstalled. Hopefully this is the last of the drama for a while. This is where my refund is going this year. grin

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Re: Journey with the '53
Tiny #1345418 Fri Feb 07 2020 04:26 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Sounds like your doing it right. Love those ‘53s. I have found I don’t mind spending money on something we both enjoy. When you get it done it needs to make a road trip to El Reno.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Tiny #1346595 Sat Feb 15 2020 08:53 AM
D
Extreme Gabster
Brought Old Blue home in '05 Tiny and she had the same problems you described, quite typical and pretty much what I had expected.
She had 56K original miles.so she really did need a but more then your '53. Had the mill completely rebuilt, and I rebuilt the front end,
rear end, 4-speed, steering gear, heater, wiper, carb, starter/generator, fuel pump my self while I was waiting for the machine shop
to finish up her 216.
Here we are 15 years and around 25K later and she's a fun, trouble free (most of the time) interesting driver whenever the weather permits.
Just need her to serve me for another 23 years.
You'll have a really good driver when you're done. I had a half dozen 50's Chevy's back in the day when you could pick up good transportation
for $200. I wish I could find another one to add to the stable, a car this time. Really would liked to have found that one that Alvin picked. I had
one just like it back in the late 50's when I was working as a Chevy parts men. Of course, being a 95% purist, I would have liked have gotten
holt of it before the Chipmonk chewed it up.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Tiny #1346597 Sat Feb 15 2020 09:32 AM
W
Master Gabster
I am hoping that when I find IT that I don't rely on the mileage to have a runner. Whatever I get will be a driver I hope. Thanks for posting reality.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Tiny #1346600 Sat Feb 15 2020 12:13 PM
Tiny Offline OP
Global Mod
I should be getting everything back next week. The transmission guy said "I found your noise" then proceeded to tell me a lock ring (washer?) broke and allowed the various bits in the torque converter that aren't supposed to touch, get far too intimate and shredded the torque converter. He said it was full of small bits of stuff that aren't supposed to be in small bits. He's waiting on a couple of small parts to finish the job & should have them early next week. The club member doing the engine leak has run it for an hour on the stand with no leaks so far. He's going to give it another hour or two on the stand before he kicks it loose.

Tiny #1346604 Sat Feb 15 2020 01:44 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
👍🏻😁

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Tiny #1346611 Sat Feb 15 2020 02:16 PM
Shop Shark
Sounds like a fun journey!
Is the 53' a Bel Air? Two or Four door?
Pictures?

--Tom H.

Tiny #1346624 Sat Feb 15 2020 03:34 PM
Tiny Offline OP
Global Mod
It's a four door 210. Pics aren't allowed in the 'Spoon and I don't use a hosting service. Similar to this one but the bottom color is poo brown.

Tiny #1346630 Sat Feb 15 2020 04:31 PM
W
Master Gabster
Thanks for the site listing. I thought it might be another site to explore and find my dream Plymouth. Well, the first page came up and it was full of 50 to 60 thousand dollar cars. And one that I could be interested in said 2 different locations. One in Elkhart IN. and the in the southwest. More pages to co through but lunch is calling. ohwell Thanks again and good luck on yours.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Tiny #1346631 Sat Feb 15 2020 04:43 PM
Shop Shark
Understood, and very cool.
My brother has a 53' Bel-Air Four door with the Powerglide.
The engine and trans both have leaks, and the engine burns some oil....sounds like he will need to make the same journey as you...

--Tom

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop