The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Points to Ponder

LOVE STRUCK!

You might be a Stovebolt Lover

Check the New Stuff and Announcements Forum

What do you think?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Coltonk, DennisM, Harold41, David C., 3 invisible), 378 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,315
Posts938,048
Members42,899
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GMC 270 motor do any chevy performance parts interchange #1346389 Thu Feb 13 2020 08:37 PM
E
Est2rad customs Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I have a 50 GMC 450 truck it's a big truck 3 ton many it has a 270 engine in it but dont find much performance parts for it Clifford's has some I was wanting to go to HEI distributor and most are for chevy 6 will a one that fits a chevy 216, 235, 261 fit in my GMC 270 block and what other parts like headers , manifolds the side valve cover cover my valve cover on top has 2 bolts and what GMC top valve covers well inter change want to get chrome cover for side of block and cover for top valve cover and it looks like the chevy HEI well work for bought motors I want to keep the 6 in it but I have a 454 laying around

Re: GMC 270 motor do any chevy performance parts interchange [Re: Est2rad customs] #1346399 Thu Feb 13 2020 09:13 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Shiny hotrod parts won't help you haul the kind of loads that truck was built for. You need torque, not high RPM, and the 270 GMC already has that in spades the way it was built. I guess it's possible to make a silk purse from a sow's ear, but it makes the pig look funny and they don't hear so well afterwards!

Clifford's should be in the vacuum cleaner business, the way they suck money out of the pockets of gullible people!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: GMC 270 motor do any chevy performance parts interchange [Re: Est2rad customs] #1346400 Thu Feb 13 2020 09:17 PM
T
tom moore Offline
Shop Shark
The distributor should fit. Langdon's has an HEI that I believe is the same for the Chevy and GMC. If not, he offers one for the GMC under "GMC Parts"

Dual exhaust systems for GMC motors will interchange (such as Fenton's etc) . But, for Fenton and others,there may be some slight modification needed for the stud and clamps to fit the GMC. Some grinding is needed so the clamps will sit flat. .

Stock Chev intake and exhaust manifolds do not fit GMC and vice versa. Same with side and rocker covers.

GMC engines are about 1.5" longer than the chevy 6's

However, vendors do make cast aluminum side and valve covers for the GMC. They are more stout than the stock pressed steel covers .

But yeah, Jerry is right... and the 270 is a great motor.

Last edited by tom moore; Fri Feb 14 2020 01:43 PM.
Re: GMC 270 motor do any chevy performance parts interchange [Re: Est2rad customs] #1346408 Thu Feb 13 2020 10:42 PM
E
Wrench Fetcher
I just wanted to make it look a little nicer it's got my buzz logo on the side and if I want to show of some of the trick golf carts I make would be kinda nice to have it look nice not trying to make it look like the rat tod trucks just want yo ean it up some going to just polish out old paint and leve the batina the way it Is but would like to clean up the ringing bay a bit the truck is to big to be a hot rod trying to do anything bum would be stupid lol

Re: GMC 270 motor do any chevy performance parts interchange [Re: Est2rad customs] #1346413 Thu Feb 13 2020 11:35 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Try to be a little more patient when you post a comment- - - -you're double posting every time you try. It takes a little while for the forum software to respond.

Virtually all the aftermarket dress-up parts out there are targeted toward Chevy pickup owners. Anything specifically GMC is going to be terribly expensive, and it's also going to be designed for the kind of racing use these engines got over 50 years ago. Headers are an absolute waste of time, effort, and money, and the Fenton clones made for Chevy engines must be heavily modified by elongating the port shapes even to bolt up to a GMC head. Then the only thing they do for a truck is change the appearance- - - - -without extreme internal modifications a street engine can't reach the RPM range where headers are effective. Dress-up parts like a cast aluminum valve cover and pushrod cover is available, I believe, but the cost is outrageous because the demand is so small. If you change the air cleaner for one with a paper element and a chrome housing, be sure to use one that's big enough to avoid restricting the airflow. I'd suggest one that's at least 12" in diameter and 3" tall. The little chrome bonnet air cleaners that I see on a lot of stovebolts won't flow enough air to feed my 80 cubic inch Harley motorcycle adequately. Do a good steam cleaning of the engine compartment, get the wiring looking good, and paint the engine original equipment color- - - - -a clean, original-looking engine will do plenty to impress people who know what they're looking at, and the other mouth-breathers aren't worth worrying about, opinion-wise!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: GMC 270 motor do any chevy performance parts interchange [Re: Est2rad customs] #1346415 Thu Feb 13 2020 11:55 PM
S
showkey Offline
Shop Shark
cast aluminum valve cover and pushrod cover..........have one big up side.........they don’t leak !!!!!!!!!!

Re: GMC 270 motor do any chevy performance parts interchange [Re: Est2rad customs] #1346486 Fri Feb 14 2020 03:37 PM
J
Jon G Offline
Shop Shark
The originals don't leak a bit if you get some 3/16" aluminum, a saber saw with a metal blade and make some really good manifold spacers. Make them so that they fit end to end on the valve cover and bend arms down at each screw hole to get more tension. On the pushrod cover, simply use 1/2 inch washers painted to match. Oh, and straighten these items very well before you install them.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Re: GMC 270 motor do any chevy performance parts interchange [Re: Est2rad customs] #1346504 Fri Feb 14 2020 05:27 PM
E
Wrench Fetcher
Sorry for the double posts I'm just getting used to this foram and I think I'll take the advice from you guys the truck would be more impressive all stock and the motor and the motor bay cleaned up and thier are a lot of differences between the chevys and the GMC the GMC was built to be the stronger and bigger work horse of the 2 I think semsthe GMC have always been bigger stronger I know the chevy guys are going to have some thing to say I'm sure but I think I'm going to just do the rewire job go 12v clean the engine up like you say and repaint everything so it looks good it change the cover gaskets and just have a nice restored looking truck insted of going all crazy spending a bunch of money on stuff that really isnt going to make that big a difference and some one how knows what these old trucks looked like back in the day would probably like you say find that more cool than like one of the guys said a dressed up pigs ear lol but thanks guys

Re: GMC 270 motor do any chevy performance parts interchange [Re: Est2rad customs] #1346506 Fri Feb 14 2020 05:59 PM
E
Wrench Fetcher
And what is the original color for the engine its chevy orange right now is it supposed to be gray?

Re: GMC 270 motor do any chevy performance parts interchange [Re: Est2rad customs] #1346514 Fri Feb 14 2020 06:42 PM
T
tom moore Offline
Shop Shark
Not likely gray.

1948 Forward - red/orange. And some were painted black but this has been debated.. Depending on military use - they were olive drab and some flat black. More than likely though - for civilian use the majority were painted GMC red orange.

Mid 1947 and earlier were green, some black.

Last edited by tom moore; Sun Feb 16 2020 11:28 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop