The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 members (66flea, 51sub, 5 Window 9434, 47fivewindow, 3 invisible), 275 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,641
Posts941,065
Members43,016
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Switching from the hydro vac system to dual resistor master cylinder
Est2rad customs #1346088 Wed Feb 12 2020 04:08 AM
E
Wrench Fetcher
Ya the one they said would work is a 1 inch bore so what size bore do I need

Est2rad customs #1346090 Wed Feb 12 2020 04:13 AM
E
Wrench Fetcher
Looks like I need at least a 1 1/4 bore I just dont know alot about the trucks cars yes big lod trucks not so much

Est2rad customs #1346100 Wed Feb 12 2020 06:17 AM
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
who is "they" that told you a 1" bore master would work? The stock master on my 58 2-ton is a 1 1/4" bore, Please re-read my earlier post. That is what I wold do, is replace/rebuild it all so you know it is good and working properly. My 58 weighs 9,000 pounds empty going down the road. The last thing you want is to be driving your truck down the road and lose brakes because you hurried to get it moving and were not thorough! That is a lot of weight to try to stop with no brakes!

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Est2rad customs #1346119 Wed Feb 12 2020 01:52 PM
L
Shop Shark
My 1950 COE is a 2 ton and my brakes are stock. I rebuilt everything, including new brake lines. An important step is to be sure the newly relined brake shoes are arced to the corresponding drums (ground to fit the radius of the drum). After this, keep them associated with drum they were mated to. After this, the stock system works great, even with a significant load. Unless I were doing commercial work I would not change the system.

On another note, unless your engine was changed, you would not have a 216 in your GMC. Likely a 248 or 270.

Kent

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Est2rad customs #1346140 Wed Feb 12 2020 03:25 PM
E
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks Kent I was looking at the valve cover I dont know alot about these old 6s my friend thought it mite be a 290 but I dont think so do you know what the casting numbers would be so I know what I have and I am going to listen to what you have all said and take my time and rebuild the original system that's on it now it worked fine back then and I dont have to do a bunch of modifications so that would be so much easyer to do it the way you guys said because you guys know about these trucks and obviously I have no clue lol

Est2rad customs #1346141 Wed Feb 12 2020 03:27 PM
E
Wrench Fetcher
And I thank you all I'm the new guy lol so thanks for your help and concern for me and my new project

Est2rad customs #1346145 Wed Feb 12 2020 03:30 PM
L
Shop Shark
Regarding the engine, if you post the serial number, someone will be able to tell you what you have. The serial number is stamped right behind the distributor. I believe the GMC engine serial numbers start with either 248... or 270... which will tell you what you have without decoding further.
Kent

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Est2rad customs #1346149 Wed Feb 12 2020 03:37 PM
E
Wrench Fetcher
And I thank you all I'm the new guy lol so thanks for your help and concern for me and my new project I had told a guy on ebay about my truck and the size of it it was a kit and the guy said it would be more than enuf so I guess when I get iit I well send it back because it's not going to work thanks I'm glade I joined this site or If i had put it together that way i probably would have destroyed my truck or some body when t couldn't stop in time so thanks again everyone so very much glade to be a member and a part of the group I'll go back and look over the other posts that say were to send the vac system to and were to get the parts it's old and not like you can go to autozone to find parts for it lol thanks again

Est2rad customs #1346193 Wed Feb 12 2020 05:53 PM
H
Boltergeist
The most common problem with the Hydrovac is getting a brake fluid leak into the vacuum chamber. When that happens, you'll get huge clouds of choking white smoke from the exhaust as brake fluid gets pulled into the intake manifold, and the engine will run rough. Just hook up the vacuum line to the HV to check that- - - -no need to plumb the brake lines back to it. You'll know very quickly if there's a problem. Rebuilding one is difficult- - - -it's much easier to swap one out for a reman unit.

Once you get beyond pickup-sized vehicles the parts places like Auto Zone are pretty much useless./ NAPA stores cater to professional repair shops, and they're a much better source for parts for older, bigger rigs. Onine, Rock Auto has listings for the bigger trucks, and they usually have a pretty good selection of inventory.

We ran weekly at the Merced Fairgrounds dirt track, and ran at Watsonville and Antioch occasionally. All three tracks were in the same regional racing association. Fun stuff!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Est2rad customs #1346208 Wed Feb 12 2020 06:16 PM
E
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks Kent I was looking at the valve cover I dont know alot about these old 6s my friend thought it mite be a 290 but I dont think so do you know what the casting numbers would be so I know what I have and I am going to listen to what you have all said and take my time and rebuild the original system that's on it now it worked fine back then and I dont have to do a bunch of modifications so that would be so much easyer to do it the way you guys said because you guys know about these trucks and obviously I have no clue lol

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop