The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (archburycontrol, Donf, Deltamac, 3B, bartender, 2 invisible), 149 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,791
Posts942,561
Members43,043
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Switching from the hydro vac system to dual resistor master cylinder
#1345985 Tue Feb 11 2020 05:29 PM
E
Wrench Fetcher
I have 1950 GMC 450 dually it's a big truck I got it and though we have bleed the brakes it goes to the floor 1 or 2 pumps and it starts working got under it and found the hydro vac system is all disconnected so I ordered a addapter to put a dual reservoir master cylinder manual no vacum in insted with residual valves well this work in place of the stock master cylinder and hydro vac system

Re: Switching from the hydro vac system to dual resistor master cylinder
Est2rad customs #1346027 Tue Feb 11 2020 10:16 PM
H
Boltergeist
No

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Est2rad customs #1346046 Wed Feb 12 2020 12:22 AM
E
Wrench Fetcher
Ok so what will work

Est2rad customs #1346047 Wed Feb 12 2020 12:23 AM
E
Wrench Fetcher
What can I do

Est2rad customs #1346048 Wed Feb 12 2020 12:26 AM
E
Wrench Fetcher
The hydro vac system is totally disconnected and the brake line comes out of the stock master cylinder with a t to connect front and back I want to drive my truck but dont know about the brakes

Est2rad customs #1346052 Wed Feb 12 2020 12:41 AM
H
Boltergeist
Replace the Hydrovac- - - -they're available rebuilt from NAPA and several other places. Unless you find some sort of very large diameter dual chamber master cylinder from a motorhome or something similar and totally re-plumb the brake system with a booster, you're going to have a deathtrap that's a danger to you and everyone who shares the road with you. The small bore dual cylinders that are sold in the conversion kits don't move enough volume of fluid to get the shoes against the brake drums without pumping the pedal several times. It's also important to do frequent brake adjustments so the shoes don't have to move very far before coming into contact with the drums. Adjusting the brakes properly will make the truck start stopping with one pedal stroke even without the Hydrovac, but you'll need to spend a lot of time at the gym doing squats to have a strong enough leg to get stopped.

I ran a race car at the Watsonville 1/4 mile dirt track in the late 1970's in the "Northern California Sportsman" class.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Est2rad customs #1346054 Wed Feb 12 2020 12:53 AM
3B Online
Master Gabster
Hy Est2rad customs, welcome, as to your brake system, why not restore it to working condition? If you want to change to a dual master cylinder you should not replace the original master cylinder with one that has a smaller bore than the original master cylinder One or two pumps that brings the system back to a working condition would indicate the brakes are in bad need of an adjustment. If it were my truck I would remove all the wheels and brake drums and see what I am dealing with, checking for leaking wheel cylinders, brake lining condition and return spring condition. I don't think you would enjoy driving your truck with a non boosted braking system. Come back and ask questions if you need to.

Est2rad customs #1346075 Wed Feb 12 2020 03:28 AM
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
I have to agree with Jerry and 3B. Pull the wheels off, check everything, I would at a bare minimum put wheel cylinder kits in all wheel cylinders (pretty cheap) and then replace the steel lines an rubber hoses and hook up the hydrovac (probably meed a rebuilt one). I would also put a kit in the master cylinder. You are probably into brake hoses, tubing, and cylinder kits 125-200 depending on where you buy, and then the hydrovac.

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Est2rad customs #1346079 Wed Feb 12 2020 03:39 AM
E
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks everyone how could I check the hydro vac canister to see if it works I heard from a friend they do work good when they are set up right I just started working on the truck it has 85000 original miles it was a farm truck and for the last 20 or so years it's been an historic vehicle the truck is in great condition but this is my first big truck it has the stock I guess 216 and it has a 5 speed transmission with the 2 speed rear end the wiring harness has some bad spots but I have an aftermarket wiring harness and the adapter to put a alternator in to go to 12v I dont know how to put pics up to show you guys what it looks like

Hotrod Lincoln #1346086 Wed Feb 12 2020 04:05 AM
E
Wrench Fetcher
My dad when I was a kid helped a lot of the sportsman guys build and fix thier cars

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop