The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (Cozsum, Jacket4256, Hambone, Jack Ryan, fclaridge, coilover, 2 invisible), 106 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,796
Posts942,577
Members43,043
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Getting down the road
#1345508 Sat Feb 08 2020 12:02 AM
T
TC53GMC Offline OP
New Guy
Hello everyone! I am as green as a gourd so I appreciate your patience. A couple of years ago I acquired a "53" GMC pickup. The truck appeared to be in very good condition, running & driving. The EXTREMELY low gearing limited driving to backroads and the occasional trip to town.
She's a hoot to drive and I enjoy her completely. I even get a kick out of the 6 volt system
My desire is to make the truck a bit more user friendly. I have read a good bit and done some poking around on the internet and it seems there are abundant options.
BUT.... I am a bit of a traditionalist and am not interested in having a "rat-rod" or "resto-mod". (They are cool, but not in any immediate plans). My goal would be to get maybe 15 or 20 more MPH without sounding like she wants to blow up. Any help is welcome.

Re: Getting down the road
TC53GMC #1345510 Sat Feb 08 2020 12:08 AM
Boltergeist
Welcome to the Stovebolt. Consider yourself at home for many years to come. This is THE place for old Chevy/GMC guys and there are folks here to help.....and all of us were "green" at one time.
Be sure to ask questions in the Garage Forums for the best results, not here in the welcome centre.

There are no stupid questions and the guys and gals here are great.
Yes, there is a thing or two you can do to your truck to get it up to speed and still maintain its integrity. Visit the Driveline Forum or the Hi Po Forum and the guys there will help you out.

We have quite a few bolters here from Ohio so watch for them.........and you may want to plan now for a trip to K.C. Missouri around the first weekend in September for the Stovebolt Reunion. Trucks trucks trucks there. ALL KINDS.
See you around the garage.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
TC53GMC #1345523 Sat Feb 08 2020 12:53 AM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

TC53GMC #1345543 Sat Feb 08 2020 01:40 AM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Welcome to the 'bolt. I'm a betting man, and I'll bet there are more than a few in here that have or had the exact same "problem" that you do..

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
TC53GMC #1345548 Sat Feb 08 2020 01:44 AM
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
welcome to the site! As Rusty said, you are not alone on wanting a bit more speed, BUT BUT BUT, along with more speed comes the need for more stop! Do some poking around and asking questions on the proper forum and you'll find a lot of good information!

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
TC53GMC #1345567 Sat Feb 08 2020 03:54 AM
C
Wrench Fetcher
I'm reaching for the higher cruising speed too, looks like we're both in the right place. Welcome to the Stovebolt forum!

1961 Chevy Apache 20 Crew Cab Stepside
-235ci inline 6, Carter YF2100S, SM420, Eaton HO52 w/ 5.13 on 35" BFG Baja T/As-
"BamBam"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket
TC53GMC #1345593 Sat Feb 08 2020 02:39 PM
M
Shop Shark
Two ways to go faster; more rpm or higher final drive ratio. Most of us do not drive our trucks like they were driven back in the day. I think we're used to driving in near silence, no road noise, no engine noise, no gear noise. Our trucks had and have all these normal sounds in spades. Fact is if they're in good shape (as they should be to hit the highway) as in brakes, suspension, tires and steering they'll run 60 no problem. Will sound like they're going a lot faster and something is about to come thought the hood. Not the cases though (assuming alls in decent shape).

So, need to slow down the engine and still go fast. That's easy. T5 transmission from a Chevrolet S10. Lot of final drive and 1 gear ratios to choose from. I like my setup of 4.10s in the rear and .73 5th gear. You just have to be careful and not go too high or you'll only be able to use 5th when driving with a tailwind. Many get to the sweet spot of balancing HP and final drive with a simple rear gear change or complete late model rearend swap. This gives the added benefit of modern rear brakes.

Hit the search button and search T5 transmission and rear end swaps. Lots of reading material for sure.

Good Luck,
RonR

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

TC53GMC #1345601 Sat Feb 08 2020 03:50 PM
T
Shop Shark
Welcome to the BOLT, there are a lot of us trying to do just what your after. It's a balance, keeping the old and making it work for your needs. Lot's of help here, no question is not worth asking.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
TC53GMC #1345618 Sat Feb 08 2020 06:07 PM
T
TC53GMC Offline OP
New Guy
The T5 transmission would probably be a logical alternative and I'm certain this would eliminate a LOT of noise from the driveline. The issue I see this route would be the appearance of the shifter. Is the T5 a top loader? I've also read that changing the gears in the stock rear differential housing was fairly common and relatively painless. Thoughts?

TC53GMC #1345629 Sat Feb 08 2020 08:06 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Remember guys, this is the Welcome Center, questions and discussions should move over to the Garage Forums. The current discussion belongs in the Driveline Forum. Thanks

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop