The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (66rollback, AD8, 51sub, 3B, Chevy's till I d, BLUEMEANIE, 1 invisible), 110 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,489
Posts956,744
Members43,414
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Serial number help, please!
#1344259 Thu Jan 30 2020 04:42 AM
H
Boltergeist
I did a pre-purchase inspection on a vehicle today, and it does not have the original engine. It's a high water pump full pressure stovebolt six engine, and the stamped number behind the distributor is JAA128185 . So far, I haven't been able to match the letter prefix to any 54/55 year 235, car or truck. Can the number crunchers give me a little hand, please- - - -I'd like to include the engine's original application in my report. Unfortunately, the casting numbers are not visible without removing a few parts.
Thanks!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Serial number help, please!
Hotrod Lincoln #1344262 Thu Jan 30 2020 04:57 AM
M
Shop Shark
Jerry,

JAA128185

J = 1951
A = Passenger Car
A = Flint
128185 = Serial number starting with 1001

That makes this a 216 engine code...

Mike B smile

Hotrod Lincoln #1344263 Thu Jan 30 2020 05:24 AM
H
Boltergeist
OK- - - -I'll bet it's been re-stamped to match the title, then. It's definitely a full-pressure engine with a short pushrod cover. That serial number would match the vehicle I inspected. The letters and numbers didn't look like factory stamps.
Thanks!
Jerry

Hotrod Lincoln #1344294 Thu Jan 30 2020 04:21 PM
H
Boltergeist
Situations like this are what keep me in the inspection business- - - -being able to spot anomalies in details on 70 year old vehicles isn't something that can be learned in a classroom. With the outrageous asking prices for restored and resto-mod vehicles, the cost of an on-site inspection can be cheap insurance for a potential buyer. This one also had the obligatory eye candy- - - -dual (leaky) Rochester B's, "Fenton" style repop headers, no intake manifold heat, and sooty tailpipes from power valves being open too much of the time due to being over-carbureted. It also had well-lubricated front suspension and frame rails from engine oil leaks at both ends and a transmission grease leak from a sloppy torque tube ball joint. It was the classic "looks good from 50 feet" cosmetic restoration.
Jerry

Hotrod Lincoln #1344336 Thu Jan 30 2020 08:35 PM
J
Shop Shark
Makes me glad I wasn’t expecting much when I bought my 52 with 54 front nose truck 25 some odd years back. No restoration involved, was happy it ran when I put a battery in. I mean for 600 bucks what could go wrong.

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop