The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Some light reading

ENTERTAINING ADVENTURES

In the Stovebolt Reading Room

A little light reading
OR
Epic stories of old tin hunting!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 registered members (JM48, Johnny N, BC59, 3 invisible), 249 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,349
Posts938,278
Members42,909
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Points ingnition troubleshooting #1343496 Fri Jan 24 2020 10:41 PM
W
whateverpratt Offline OP
Shop Shark
I'm probably going about this wrong, since I don't know much about how points ignition works, so I need a little direction from you guys with my trouble shooting.

Vehicle:
1969 T50 with a 292

The coil on it was pulled from another running truck, so it's good.

On the other other truck ('73 step van with a 292), I could see 12 volts on my meter when the key was on and my leads were on the positive and negative posts of the coil, so I thought I would be able to see the same thing on the T50.

On the T50 with the key on, I can see 12 volts on my meter if I ground to the frame or engine, but not the negative post on the coil (I tried multiple positions because I didn't know if the points being open or shut would effect the reading).

Is this indicative of points and condenser failure?

The screws on the distributor cap on the '73 were so rusted and boogered up that I couldn't remove the cap to play around with my functioning motor to assist with my troubleshooting.

I read some a thread about putting the coil wire close to the engine block and using a screwdriver to open and close the points to look for spark at the coil wire, and it sparked nicely, but I don't know how that plays into my troubleshooting

'66 c10 rust bucket, 350 nv4500 stock bellhousing, '85 c30 front suspension, h072 rear axle with 3/4 ton rear coil springs
'67 cj5 225 oddfire motor, time for disc brake conversion, offset rear dana 44, intermediate pedals and steering upgrade
'48 3804 frame and bed + '52 6400 cab and front clip + 4bt, need to put them together
Re: Points ingnition troubleshooting [Re: whateverpratt] #1343499 Fri Jan 24 2020 10:51 PM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
You shouldn't be measuring ACROSS the coil terminals.
The points being open or closed WILL affect the reading because you're essentially measuring coil resistance (which is very small).
If you measure from either coil terminal to ground with the points open, you'll get battery voltage at both. If the points are closed, you'll get a lower voltage reading on the terminal going to the points, which are basically grounding the circuit.

The question is, does it run?

If you did the test in your last sentence, then that means you're getting spark to the distributor cap, but you may not be getting spark to the plugs if the distributor cap has a bunch of crap built up inside it that provides an alternate path to ground other than to the plugs. Maybe the spring on top of the rotor that makes contact with the center of the cap is broken off.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Re: Points ingnition troubleshooting [Re: whateverpratt] #1343509 Sat Jan 25 2020 12:47 AM
B
bartamos Offline
Truck Whisperer
It's always best to start with the problem with the truck, not a question, yet, about troubleshooting.

As Kevin is indicating......do we have........
1. No fire
2. No start
3. No known spark
4. Backfire
5. Runs and dies
6. Stumbles on acceleration
7. History.1 When did it start doing what it's doing and did it ever run ok.
8. History.2 What have you done recently. Parts? "Fixed" something? Wiring? Tuning/timing? Ran it into the lake?
9. Other

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Re: Points ingnition troubleshooting [Re: whateverpratt] #1343524 Sat Jan 25 2020 02:46 AM
W
whateverpratt Offline OP
Shop Shark
Okay, here's the history:
Bought the truck two weeks ago
Was originally a fire truck.
Fire apparatus was already removed when previous owner bought the truck.
Previous owner removed the cab.
I bought the frame for the 292 and the np540 trans and the six nice 8.25x20,00's
Was told it ran and drove when previous owner purchased it.
Battery was dead.
Put a good battery in it.
Engine cranks over
I've got fuel going to the carb, the accelerator pump works (you can see the gas squirt down the carb when throttle is opened quickly)
It won't fire.
The only new looking parts on the motor are the plug wires which look brand new, so I'm guessing the po replaced those or the person who sold it to the po.

On another note, should I have posted this in the electrical forum?

'66 c10 rust bucket, 350 nv4500 stock bellhousing, '85 c30 front suspension, h072 rear axle with 3/4 ton rear coil springs
'67 cj5 225 oddfire motor, time for disc brake conversion, offset rear dana 44, intermediate pedals and steering upgrade
'48 3804 frame and bed + '52 6400 cab and front clip + 4bt, need to put them together
Re: Points ingnition troubleshooting [Re: whateverpratt] #1343525 Sat Jan 25 2020 03:02 AM
Justhorsenround Online
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
No, your in the right spot. You need to make sure when #1 cylinder is on compression stroke that the distributor rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire on the distributor cap.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Points ingnition troubleshooting [Re: whateverpratt] #1343526 Sat Jan 25 2020 03:09 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
I would pull a spark plug and see if you get spark with it connected to its wire and against a ground. If not, work your way back to the distributor and check the cap, etc.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Re: Points ingnition troubleshooting [Re: whateverpratt] #1343531 Sat Jan 25 2020 04:09 AM
W
whateverpratt Offline OP
Shop Shark
Yeah, it makes sense to work from the spark plug back. Strangely enough I had a multimeter with me, but nothing to pull a plug with, so I guess I just started trouble shooting backwards. If I get a chance to get out there tomorrow, I'll bring my tools and work from the plugs back

Re: Points ingnition troubleshooting [Re: whateverpratt] #1343532 Sat Jan 25 2020 04:15 AM
B
bartamos Offline
Truck Whisperer
thumbs_up

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop