The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Some light reading

ENTERTAINING ADVENTURES

In the Stovebolt Reading Room

A little light reading
OR
Epic stories of old tin hunting!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 registered members (BC59, CCApache20, Donf, 4 invisible), 396 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,347
Posts938,271
Members42,909
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wireles Endoscope, Bore Scope #1343071 Tue Jan 21 2020 02:59 AM
M
moparguy Offline OP
Shop Shark
A sad story has led to the purchase of a pretty nice tool. A Wireless Endoscope, specifically a Papake WiFi Inspection Camera with Light 2 Megapixels 1200P HD from Amazon for about $25 bucks.

The sad story part is all on me. I put a lit'l 302 together a few years ago for a little 4 cyl car that I'm leery of mentioning the name of. smile Well, it developed a noise I really couldn't diagnose and I wanted to make several changes so I dropped the subfame with engine/tranny as a unit with the wife's help. After removing 8 bolts and and disconnecting all wiring and hoses the wife ran the 2 post lift while I kept an eye out for problems. Once the body cleared, we rolled the subframe with everything in place out of the way, raised the lift way up, and parked the Duster under it.

The above was two years ago and everything is still up in the air, so to speak.

Back in the summer that project worked it way to the top of the list and I pulled plugs, oil pan and valve cover. Checked main and rod bearings and wrist pins, found no problem. So buttoned it back up. Move on to other work.

Then a few weeks ago it was back on top of the list, roll the engine (on a stand) out, remove the cover and NO sparks plugs. I forgot to install them several months ago.

Dirt daubers or mud wasps are BAD here. I know every cylinder has to have mud nest. Don't want to pull the heads just for a look so I bought this.

It works Great. Checked the cylinders and found one small mud nest I think I can get out by breaking it up and vacuuming it out.

I highly recommend one of these little wi-fi scopes. For $20 to $40 bucks they can pay for themselves pretty fast.

Images below show the tool and what I found.

Attached Files
IMG_4889.JPG (112.65 KB, 105 downloads)
IMG_4887.JPG (180 KB, 106 downloads)
IMG_4892.PNG (563.33 KB, 104 downloads)
IMG_4890.PNG (505.63 KB, 100 downloads)
Last edited by moparguy; Tue Jan 21 2020 03:13 AM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Re: Wireles Endoscope, Bore Scope [Re: moparguy] #1343082 Tue Jan 21 2020 05:03 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
I have one of those. Nearly indispensable. My son-in-law had an issue with a boat motor that he needed to see why it was locked up. I bought two of them, one for him and one for me. Unfortunately he couldn't determine the problem. I used mine to determine why my boat fuel pickup was not letting fuel out and starving the engine. Stuck it down inside the gas tank and found the screen on the bottom of the pickup tube was smashed against the bottom of the tank.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Re: Wireles Endoscope, Bore Scope [Re: moparguy] #1343116 Tue Jan 21 2020 03:54 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
I have one that works with a laptop computer. The probe is 5MM in diameter and 24" long, and it comes with several accessories including a right angle mirror that screws onto the tip of the probe. There is a 4 foot long USB cord to attach it to the computer and a programming disc that fits a CD drive. If I unscrew the tip protector sleeve I can inspect a .22 caliber rifle barrel from muzzle to chamber, and inspecting engine cylinders is a breeze. I think I gave about $30.00 on ebay for it about 4 years ago, and it paid for itself on the first job.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop