Got the radiator repaired and back in the truck a couple of weeks ago, and finished putting the top support and the hood on today. I noticed the generator was wobbling, so I tightened that up, as well as a small fuel leak at the carb. I went for a quick ride around town, and I’m again a very happy Bolter. Nothing better than driving these old trucks!
1938 Chevy 1/2 ton She looks good at 50 yards and 35 miles per hour on a dark night.
Removed the rusty, crusty tailgate chains and spent about an hour with them on the wire wheel. Soaked them in a jar of clean 30 weight, then wiped them down and reinstalled them. They turned out great!
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
So yesterday and today were very productive. With the help of some good friends, we were able to pull the front clip off and get the engine pulled. Put the engine on the Cradle and loaded it into my other truck to take to the machine shop in the morning. I will try adding some pictures soon.
Thanks to the Stovebolt nation for all your help and support!
Brian Moore 1949 3100 5 window Deluxe "Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Installed custom fabricated 3" lowering blocks on the 10 bolt rear end, ('81 Camaro) on my '50 3100. I'm using the original leaf springs. I've replaced all of the bushings...nice and tight. As you are probably aware, the leaf spring pin is not centered on the spring. To maintain the original wheelbase, 116", I had to have the blocks made so that I could properly locate the 10 bolt and still utilize the leaf pin for "securing" it if you will to the axle. I fudged to 117" since I'm going to 18" rear wheels. I prefer to maintain the original look as far as wheelbase.
Gave the '51 a little love today. Changed oil and by-pass filter. Adjusted valves using Hotrod Lincoln's method. Cleaned and adjusted points. Checked compression.
Really happy with the compression test. 1st one in 6 years of ownership and about 15k of driving. After changing the 15w40 diesel oil and driving 10 miles or so to get things up to temp for the valve adj. session all cylinders were 120 to 125 psig dry. I was hoping for 100 psig.
1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear 1970 340 Duster 1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain) 1951 Farmall Super A
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Last few days I worked on getting the kink out of the center of the bumper apron I picked up on my mega-road trip this past spring. Needed some way to push the flanges apart. First tried a single threaded affair tacked in place. Had some success, but not enough (Photos #1 & 2). Then dreamed up a pulling fixture so I could flatten the bulge where the flanges got pushed together. Had more success with that. I spread the all-thread pushers out so I had room for hammer and dolly work after pulling a bit. More photos.
Kevin First car '29 Ford Special Coupe #2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com] Busting rust since the mid-60's