The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Some light reading

ENTERTAINING ADVENTURES

In the Stovebolt Reading Room

A little light reading
OR
Epic stories of old tin hunting!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Johnny N, Hookalatch, Jimmie D, 3B, 2 invisible), 380 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,366
Posts938,487
Members42,915
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Did you know that new truck dealers are sneaky??? [Re: tclederman] #1340834 Tue Jan 07 2020 03:59 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by tclederman

Ford had a TurboHydramatic....

... and Chrysler had the Turbo Encabulator

For some reason your post Tim brought this to mind. grin

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Re: Did you know that new truck dealers are sneaky??? [Re: WE b OLD] #1340862 Tue Jan 07 2020 01:22 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
Kevin,

That is a very enlightening video.

It was very much like "When you fall asleep in your engineering/computing class and wake up halfway through."
"You can't even get parts for the darn thing anymore."

Thank you very much. computer_punch

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 15 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Did you know that new truck dealers are sneaky??? [Re: WE b OLD] #1341172 Thu Jan 09 2020 06:05 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
"If you tack that fee on, somebody's going to need a doc!"

The salesman got a little pale when I used that line during a negotiation! No, I didn't buy a car from him!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Did you know that new truck dealers are sneaky??? [Re: WE b OLD] #1341232 Thu Jan 09 2020 06:51 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Never, never, never pay those preprinted document fee's or the addendums on the car windshield. In the past, and if I ever buy another new vehicle (doubtful) I wait until I have the pen in hand and then tell them I will not pay them.........they usually discount the buying price so they can add it to the bill........and with pen in hand is when you bargain for pin strips, luggage racks, fender trim ect ect ect.......and if they don't take it then be prepared to just get up and walk out the door. With the pen in hand of course!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: Did you know that new truck dealers are sneaky??? [Re: WE b OLD] #1342779 Sun Jan 19 2020 04:38 AM
G
Grigg Offline
I’ve only ever bought one new (2 year old sold as new) car. Intended to pay cash for it, called ahead and dealership said a check would be just as good.
Long story short the only way they would sell it at the quoted price (several thousand off list) was if financed, 0% for 5 year, no strings attached. Absolutely couldn’t do that if paying cash....
I also tried to play hard ball on the additional little fees as well, insisting I was only going to pay what they quoted me for the vehicle and I’d happily pay that in cash/check.

It was the most frustrating 4 hours I can remember.
In the end I did want the car (only one available in the state with the lack of options I wanted) basically hunting a unicorn so it was play their game or no car.

I hope to never buy a new car again, and absolutely sure I’ll never ever visit that dealership for anything. Though for all I know they’re all the same..

If ever in a similar situation I’d take a truck and trailer, cash, and be prepared to leave empty handed.
Hard to understand how that can’t work for buying a new car when it works perfectly well for just about anything else you would want to buy (that fits on a trailer).

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: Did you know that new truck dealers are sneaky??? [Re: WE b OLD] #1342780 Sun Jan 19 2020 04:51 AM
2-Ton Offline
Shop Shark
I have bought a few brand new cars and trucks over the years.
And have always paid cash. But I also knew exactly what I wanted and would order it.
That includes all options and the color.
The dealer with the lowest price, for what I wanted, got my money.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Re: Did you know that new truck dealers are sneaky??? [Re: WE b OLD] #1342783 Sun Jan 19 2020 09:56 AM
W
WE b OLD Offline OP
Master Gabster
I worked for a Chevy dealer for a short time and they had what was called a desking system. If the sticker price was $13,000 you would tell the customer the selling price was $14,000. Yes, a thousand more than the sticker. Needless to say, I did not last long there. They preyed on young people by advertising low payments then put them a long lease and this was before the lease protection plans. The customized van craze was about that time and they would send a $11,000 van out to be customized and put another $5000.00 in it and sell it for $25,000, but they held back $5000.00 that the salesperson did not get a commission on. One dealer in Piqua, Ohio north of Dayton was selling as many as 30 a month and came over a gave a seminar on how to sell them.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Did you know that new truck dealers are sneaky??? [Re: WE b OLD] #1342804 Sun Jan 19 2020 03:55 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
My grandmother had a way of cutting through a salesman's bovine scatology. She would look over a vehicle in the showroom, decide what she wanted to pay, and write a check for that amount, before ever talking to a salesman. Then she would offer the check to the owner of the dealership. Most of the time, she drove the car home!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Did you know that new truck dealers are sneaky??? [Re: WE b OLD] #1342836 Sun Jan 19 2020 07:48 PM
W
WE b OLD Offline OP
Master Gabster
There was an ex-car salesman who wrote a book. His was to take a stack of $100.00 dollar bills and go into the salesman's office and plop the down the amount you are willing to pay and start subtracting a bill every so often until they agree with the price left.

Last edited by WE b OLD; Sun Jan 19 2020 07:48 PM.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Did you know that new truck dealers are sneaky??? [Re: WE b OLD] #1343316 Thu Jan 23 2020 04:23 AM
S
Sedgewick Offline
Shop Shark
I wanted a Ford Ranger about 10 years ago. They were advertised in the paper at $13,995. I looked at one, a salesman talked me into a test drive and then smooth talked me into his office. Laid out the price and it was $21,995! Said what about the $13,995 truck. He was unaware although the newspaper ad was framed on the wall. I hesitated and then comes the sales manager. Slick Willy with the requisite shiny suit, white shoes and more gold chains than Mr T.
I was not going to buy it played along to see what they were offering. They asked if I had a trade - No. I said I would pay cash. They said why when we can offer you some very percentage rate. Then comes the form needed to apply for Ford credit and a request for $200 to activate the credit request. Adios, I walked out. Never gave the guy my phone number and glad I didn't.
Here is another. A friend of mine whom I would consider very wealthy. He owns a hobby farm and breeds race horses, restores unique old classics and is about 65 years old. He bought a new size Ford on terms but was so dissatisfied with always being in the shop on warranty work that one day he took the car back and gave them the keys saying keep it! They were really confused and he said again, keep it! They threatened to take him to court but the clincher was them saying this would ruin his credit rating. He just laughed and walked away. Very wealthy, a decent size hobby farm, breeds thoroughbred horses and 65 years old. I don't think he was worried about his credit rating!

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop