The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (olezippi, Fourbrads, Pat66, dirtball), 103 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,839
Posts942,973
Members43,058
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 1937 smoking wires
Facundo #1342268 Wed Jan 15 2020 05:21 AM
C
Shop Shark
Before we got rich (lmao) and bought all the fancy short detector tools we used to take the main feed wire off the starter battery cable post and put a circuit breaker inline from the battery cable to the main feed wire. With the breaker in place, and clicking from the short, you can disconnect wires one at a time till the clicking stops. It's much quicker to disconnect a whole system at a time to find which has the short and then work within that system. Example: pull "BAT" wire off regulator (charging system), feed wire off dimmer switch (head lights), feed wire from amp gauge to headlight switch, hot wire to amp gauge, accessory wires on ignition switch ( heater, radio, etc). With an old car/truck there are just not that many places a short can hide. If the breaker goes nuts from the get-go then you can disconnect all the systems and then hook back up one at a time till the breaker starts clicking. A circuit breaker runs under ten bucks for 12v but not sure about 6v.

Evan
Facundo #1342340 Wed Jan 15 2020 08:19 PM
Master Gabster
That arrangement is known as a starterator. They have lots of knowledge about those over on the VCCA site. I believe they caused a lot of problems.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Facundo #1342667 Sat Jan 18 2020 06:06 AM
F
Facundo Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Shop shark thats a good idea im giong to do that .i was jus going to start replacing all the cloth wires .. but one at a time will at least let me know where the problem was at ..master gabster.. starterator.. thanks .. i know what to ask about now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop