The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy New Year

A New Year
A New Decade
A New Vision

Ring in the new with some quality time with your old truck! A great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!
The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (Allen Lane, DaveMcK38, Apache1, bertha, carbking, 1 invisible), 76 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,050
Posts935,148
Members42,762
Most Online1,027
Dec 27th, 2019
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: T170 2speed rear axle fluid questions? [Re: DIY.MechanicMike] #1342112 Tue Jan 14 2020 02:33 PM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
You do not what any gasket or rubber at the U-bolts connection, it could crush and squeeze out over time leaving the connection loose and dangerous. The corosion you have was due to road salt over many years. Paint the area with your favorite rust preventing paint and torque the new U-bolts to spec and call it done.

Mike B smile

Re: T170 2speed rear axle fluid questions? [Re: Mike B] #1342116 Tue Jan 14 2020 02:53 PM
D
DIY.MechanicMike Offline OP
Shop Shark
Ok so I was thinking that it would eventually crush as well but just wanted to see if anyone has tried to figure something out for this issue. Cuz I didn't really wanna just put it back on in the same pitted spot. How thick is the walls of these axles? And I guess to try to keep the salt outta that area would it be ok to put some sort of gasket sealant on the clamp bracket so that the crevice between there is already filled with a material so new road salt doesn't get in my fresh paint job and corrode ? Kinda like a oil seal but a corrosive road salt seal in my case...

Re: T170 2speed rear axle fluid questions? [Re: DIY.MechanicMike] #1342177 Tue Jan 14 2020 08:44 PM
W
Wrenchbender Ret. Offline
Master Gabster
Did you clean up the bottom of the rear end good. It seems to me there is a plug at the bottom to drain it. If the center section is held on with bolts & not studs/nuts it might drain through the lower bolt. The electric shift uses 10W oil up to the level of the plug. Those shift a lot better then the vacuum shifters.
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Re: T170 2speed rear axle fluid questions? [Re: DIY.MechanicMike] #1342195 Tue Jan 14 2020 10:19 PM
D
Shop Shark
Well there she is, oh black Betty "bam ba lam" whoa black Betty "bam ba lam" hope she's still rock steady!!! Haha my rear end overhaul remix. But never mind my last thought of the gasket sealant to seal off that junk collection pocket.... what if once I mount axle and tighten u bolts to spec, if I just slapped a glob of wheel bearing grease to fill in that area so water and road dust gets deflected by outer grease layer so it can't penetrate that pocket????? Other wise only way to keep stuff out would be to spray gunk out of there once a month and who has time for that!!! Lol

Attached Files
20200114_153301.jpg (264.87 KB, 59 downloads)
20200114_153320.jpg (382.83 KB, 59 downloads)
Re: T170 2speed rear axle fluid questions? [Re: DIY.MechanicMike] #1342197 Tue Jan 14 2020 10:26 PM
D
Shop Shark
How do you drain oil from high low selector? Take off the triangle thing on bottom or just one of the 3 bolts holding that on? Or should I just drain it outta the fill hole by rotating the axle then rotate back up to fill? That's probably how I'm gonna do the axle lube...

Re: T170 2speed rear axle fluid questions? [Re: DIY.MechanicMike] #1342220 Wed Jan 15 2020 12:24 AM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by DIY.MechanicMike
How do you drain oil from high low selector?

If it were me, I'd remove the rear cover and make sure everything inside is nice and clean. It will also allow you to see how everything inside works. The three screws on the bottom hold the bottom bearing in place...

As for protecting the axle housing at the spring perches, I think your sand blasting and painting will provide many decades of added life to it. Remember, it took 60 years to get the way it is now and that's with no one caring for it! Don't overthink it...

Mike B smile

Re: T170 2speed rear axle fluid questions? [Re: DIY.MechanicMike] #1342230 Wed Jan 15 2020 12:57 AM
D
Shop Shark
MikeB, do you mean remove the selector and take the back cover off it or are you saying take the back cover off the diff? Because my axle housing is solid on the rear(right pic), only way to open black Betty is the front center gear section(left pic). But if you mean the back cover of the selector? then I misunderstood you before when you said that, I thought you meant the diff. I haven't actually inspected the selector to much I did notice its bolted to the center by 3 bolts and the bottom triangle thing.

And I'll try not to over think it. I'm just thinking I have it off if there is anything I need to do to it, now is the time cuz she ain't coming back off till it falls off lol. hints why I just gave it the fresh paint job, and sandblasted ALL the corroded metal off to just fresh pitted metal. The shackles took quite a bit of sand to blast, the axles metal that corroded off to the shackles was on there good!!! That little $40 craigslist sandblaster has come in handy with my old equipment restorations I've been diving into, it makes me feel good to bring crusty and rusty old stuff back to life.

Re: T170 2speed rear axle fluid questions? [Re: DIY.MechanicMike] #1342269 Wed Jan 15 2020 05:34 AM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by DIY.MechanicMike
MikeB, do you mean remove the selector and take the back cover off it or are you saying take the back cover off the diff? .

Sorry for the confusion...I'm talking about the "front" cover on the 2-speed selector motor...the one held on with 6 screws and the little tit on it. No need to remove the selector motor, just take that cover off and inspect everything inside.

The "triangle thing" is the selector shaft bottom bearing retainer.

As for the differential, in my earlier post I thought your rear had a removable cover, that's why I said to remove it. But, since you have a welded on cover there's either a plug in the bottom of the housing or the bottom bolts holding the pumpkin in are removed to drain the fluid out of the rear.

Mike B smile

Re: T170 2speed rear axle fluid questions? [Re: DIY.MechanicMike] #1342303 Wed Jan 15 2020 02:44 PM
D
Shop Shark
Ok glad we cleared the confusion. Haha. The diff lube draining out bottom bolts makes sense so I got that issue figured out now.
So the front plate on the selector, that has the fill plug and the brand stamp comes off to drain oil?

That makes sense I guess but why did manufacturers forget how the oil pan was designed, with a drain plug Haha. Almost all daily driver trucks and SUVs have rear diffs and transmissions with no drain plug and only way to change fluid is to remove pan/plate destroy seals so you have to reseal just to change fluid what a retarded design flaw, causing ppl to neglect their fluid changes because of the hassle manufacturers created. I guess they figured ppl should be checking the internal components but come on how many of us remove our oil pans to check our pistons out while changing our oil.... we just assume by keeping up on our regular fluid changes the internals should be in good shape since were taking care of the internals lube when needed.

Re: T170 2speed rear axle fluid questions? [Re: DIY.MechanicMike] #1342393 Thu Jan 16 2020 03:37 AM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
One of the bearing screws on the bottom may allow you to drain the 10w oil, but I'd still take the cover off as now is a good time to make sure everything inside looks okay.

You can also test the motor and make sure the limit switches and linkage are all working before you install the rear back on the truck. The motor will have 3-wires (12v)...Ground, High and Low.

Mike B smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop