The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (AD8, 51sub, 3B, BLUEMEANIE, 5 Window 9434, 49nut), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,489
Posts956,744
Members43,414
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Double groove pulley
dtwbcs #1340343 Fri Jan 03 2020 11:16 PM
D
dtwbcs Offline OP
Shop Shark
WOW I already ordered one from ebay .... frown

Danny
1958 GMC stepside GMC 302
dtwbcs #1340991 Wed Jan 08 2020 02:43 AM
D
dtwbcs Offline OP
Shop Shark
So I went to Davis Speed shop and ordered a double grooved harmonic balancer, Brackets for AC (on passenger side), Power steering, and the alternator. Turns out I really didn’t need a water pump double groove pulley.
Thank you everybody who gave me some advice.

Last edited by dtwbcs; Wed Jan 08 2020 02:45 AM. Reason: Stupid spell check

Danny
dtwbcs #1341614 Sat Jan 11 2020 09:51 PM
C
New Guy
A 3/8 double groove water pump pulley from a 55-57 Buick nailhead will fit a 235 water pump not sure about the GMC

dtwbcs #1341686 Sun Jan 12 2020 11:27 AM
D
dtwbcs Offline OP
Shop Shark
ok...

Danny
coilover #1341935 Mon Jan 13 2020 07:32 PM
J
Shop Shark
That serpentine set up was a pretty good idea

dtwbcs #1348323 Sat Feb 29 2020 03:33 PM
W
New Guy
I just joined the site last night and I am having the same issues as everyone else that is looking to add a double groove crankshaft HB to a 235. I am working on the 1954 3600 pickup that I drove to high school back in the early to mid 70's and it has been in my family ever since, mostly stored out of the weather. It has the original wood in the bed and it is good enough shape that I hope to be able to run it through a planer and re-use it. Would be unique, I think, at car and truck shows to note it as the original bed wood.

I am wanting to add power steering to the old girl to make her more driver friendly, and A/C so that my former high school GF, whom I recently am re-acquainted with after 40 years and remembers being driven home from high school play practice in it, more comfortable riding to summer car shows in.

I like coilovers serpentine belt setup. Wondering what HB was used and if it could run P/S and A/C. Also, liked hotrodlincoln's post on fabricating an HB.
I stopped in the local FLAPS yesterday with my HB in hand and told them what I was in search of. They came up with a 1970 250 double groove HB that will be there Tuesday. Looked like in the picture it didn't have enough length to seat on the crank snout without hitting the timing cover first. It had no specs as far as dimensions listed so I will look at it when it comes in.

I have had the engine rebuilt at a machine shop. It is a 235, 55-57 model with the long water pump, since the original engine ran out of oil 40+ years ago. I got a bulldog cam from Tom Langdon and had it installed during the rebuild, along with dual carbs and Fenton headers. Offenhauser dual carb intake from Speedway. Got an S-10 5 speed tranny to install and S-10 rear axle on super sliders installed.

Any advice from someone who can supply pertinent info on dual groove HB's would be greatly appreciated!

dtwbcs #1348416 Sun Mar 01 2020 04:48 AM
H
Boltergeist
The 250 balancer can be adapted, but it needs the same shortening of the snout and cutting the seal surface back the same distance as the 6" diameter small block V8 balancer does. The hub has to be shortened about 1/4" or a little more to make the belt grooves line up properly. It's a fairly simple conversion for anyone with a lathe.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
dtwbcs #1348835 Thu Mar 05 2020 03:32 AM
W
New Guy
Jerry,
Thanks for your quick reply. I was slow to respond due to not being able to log in officially until resetting my password. Still learning my way around here.
I stopped in at FLAPS yesterday to check out the 250 HB and determined it was not gonna work for me since the hub measured too short to seat on the timing cover seal.
Ordered a SMC HB from a 70's 350 and it will be in tomorrow, (Thu), morning. Hoping this will be what I need. It looked long enough in the photo, (again no quoted dimensions), to reach beyond the seal in the timing cover. Will need to order the correct pulleys to make everything I want to add line up if it all has the right dimensions.
Any suggestions or warnings?
Thanks

dtwbcs #1348837 Thu Mar 05 2020 03:37 AM
W
New Guy
Jerry,
Thanks for your quick reply. I was slow to respond due to not being able to log in officially until resetting my password. Still learning my way around here.
I stopped in at FLAPS yesterday to check out the 250 HB and determined it was not gonna work for me since the hub measured too short to seat on the timing cover seal.
Ordered a SMC HB from a 70's 350 and it will be in tomorrow, (Thu), morning. Hoping this will be what I need. It looked long enough in the photo, (again no quoted dimensions), to reach beyond the seal in the timing cover. Will need to order the correct pulleys to make everything I want to add line up if it all has the right dimensions.
Any suggestions or warnings?
Thanks

dtwbcs #1348842 Thu Mar 05 2020 04:16 AM
M
Shop Shark
You can get one with a serpentine pulley.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop