The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Points to Ponder

LOVE STRUCK!

You might be a Stovebolt Lover

Check the New Stuff and Announcements Forum

What do you think?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (65chevyc10, EdPruss, Buckkoo, Dragsix, Bill Bishop, 1952Cecil), 366 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,476
Posts939,082
Members42,867
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stock oil filter. #1341309 Fri Jan 10 2020 03:17 AM
G
glenns towing Offline OP
Shop Shark
Ok. Im just throwing this out there because this is what happened and found it a bit odd. But hey, everyday is journey i guess. Veh is as many know of as, Frankenstein. 63 GMC 2500 series chassis, 66 Chevy cab and clip, 55/59 9ft stepside bed. Loving it more and more everyday. Anyhow, today was the first day that this veh has made it to the interstate. Lol. All good for a min, the started an upgrade at about 50/55 mph kinda felt something wierd to say the least. Then down hill, all good. Flat, ok. Then started back up another grade and felt like starving for fuel. Got so bad, had to pull over. Slowed and pulled over to the berm. Running, idled, and reved fine. Got out, opened hood, nothing out of the ordinary. But i seen a glare of the oil in the oil bath through the slightest opening at the top where the air would enter the air cleaner. At that moment i remembered putting 10w30 in the air cleaner to the full mark as indicated. Had the carb apart twice, new pump and all back from there, so thought it was worth a try. Pulled the air cleaner housing off, put it on the pass floor, slamed the hood and proceeded up the berm. Yielded on to the roadway, at an upgrade to boot, and all was smooth sailing from there and the next 30 mile circle till home. I wont be using that oil/air filter again. Weather it was to much oil, wrong oil, or God know what, it aint going back on my truck. Morel of the story, Dont overlook whats right in front of you. You might just figure it out. Lol... Sometimes...

Re: Stock oil filter. [Re: glenns towing] #1341467 Fri Jan 10 2020 11:25 PM
Hambone Offline
Shop Shark
Good story. I have heard it stated many times around here and its worth a reminder. Check the easy stuff first. Glad the trip ended well. Looking forward to seeing this truck.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1962 Chevrolet C10
Re: Stock oil filter. [Re: glenns towing] #1341572 Sat Jan 11 2020 03:46 PM
G
glenns towing Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hopes of all the stars aligning and your wishes may come true.

Re: Stock oil filter. [Re: glenns towing] #1341680 Sun Jan 12 2020 05:03 AM
B
bsarts Offline
New Guy
You have to take those filters apart once in a while and clean the mesh filter media.

Re: Stock oil filter. [Re: glenns towing] #1341693 Sun Jan 12 2020 01:16 PM
G
glenns towing Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hmmm. Ill look at it alitta closer . Probably wont use it again regardless. Never had a paper filter put me on the side of the road. Nor in the 3 years or so did my oil bath air cleaner on my 216, disable me.

Moderated by  Hambone 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop