The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Points to Ponder

LOVE STRUCK!

You might be a Stovebolt Lover

Check the New Stuff and Announcements Forum

What do you think?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (55 SHAKER, ApacheFiend, 52_Ton, Corey41, 66flea, 1 invisible), 339 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,476
Posts939,083
Members42,867
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Cash only #1341378 Fri Jan 10 2020 04:30 PM
C
coilover Offline OP
Shop Shark
I very seldom go to any store that doesn't sell car parts or tools so when I went with my wife to Wally World I was surprised to see there wasn't a "Cash Only" register. There was a self check out area, which is scary to a cave man like myself, and one that limited the number of items but the ones with humans at the registers had very long SLOW moving lines. The only quick transactions happened when someone paid with cash; maybe 1 in 20. Used to be large grocery stores, lumber yards, etc had a cash only register with quick moving lines. Progress?

Evan
Re: Cash only [Re: coilover] #1341384 Fri Jan 10 2020 04:50 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Walk into one of those upscale yuppie coffee joints with all the foo foo drinks and try to pay with cash! dang

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Cash only [Re: coilover] #1341405 Fri Jan 10 2020 06:06 PM
W
WE b OLD Offline
Master Gabster
The one that surprised me when I went to check out at Lowes, only 2 registers that are personed, the other 6 or so were self-check but did have a person to monitor the checkout. I get a Veteran discount so the self-check is out, then I am asked how I want my receipt, paper, or email or both. ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Cash only [Re: coilover] #1341432 Fri Jan 10 2020 07:49 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
I despise the self check out and refuse to use them. Most grocery stores and wally world are trying to FORCE us to use them. Don't fall for it. I wait in line, and then **** a little out loud and suddenly a couple more registers open up.

...yeah Ron, in Lowes the other day and they ask me to punch the little box for how I wanted my receipt. I told the guy it didn't make a damned. He smiled and handed me my receipt.

***was in the Honda dealership getting some part the other day, and like Coilcover, I like cash. So, I PAID CASH for the parts.
.....then after driving 25 miles found that THEY had given me the wrong part. Back to the dealer only to find they didn't have the "right" part even in stock. Yep, ordered it, be here in the morning...next morning I'm there at 9am. They inform me "parts truck running late, we will call you as soon as it gets here". They close at 3pm on Saturday so at 2pm i called....yes, part is here and on the shelf. Now I'm doing a slow burn.
...back I go.....I'm already in a bad mood so when the CORRECT part was $18.01 less then they had given me I was expecting my refund. NOoooo, they told me they had to MAIL It to me.......I think I better stop here or I'll be censored. Its now in the mail.

I've only had cash refused once.....a few YEARS ago I was going to pick up an engine. I got off the Florida turnpike about midnight to catch a few winks as I promised my wife. The Holiday Inn would not take cash.....luckily I carry one credit card. What a crock, the man is behind STEEL BARS and they don't even trust him to take cash?? Well, next morning I go out side and could see why. I was definitely in the HOOD part of town. Got my biscuit and left!!!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: Cash only [Re: coilover] #1341442 Fri Jan 10 2020 08:45 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
If you really want to confuse a "cashier" sometime, try paying for something that costs $6.50 with a $20.00 bill, a single, and two quarters. I did that at a fast food place a couple of years ago, and neither the counter gal nor her manager could figure out how much change to give me! The "manager" finally got out his calculator, and I told him which buttons to push! It took almost 10 minutes to get a five dollar bill and a ten back in my pocket! (and a cold hamburger and cold, greasy French fries!)
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Cash only [Re: coilover] #1341443 Fri Jan 10 2020 08:48 PM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
A friend jokes that they'll take cash with 2 forms of ID. But it's getting pretty true anymore.

I have drunk the cool-aid however and do most everything by credit card (I get miles with every purchase, and do use those miles). I haven't run across any places that won't take cash, however I haven't tried much, except for hardware store purchases for a few dollars.
I do use the self check out on occaision, but couldn't do that once in a grocery on a road trip where I wanted to buy beer along with other groceries. Don't remember which nanny state that was in, but I can understand it.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Re: Cash only [Re: Justhorsenround] #1341456 Fri Jan 10 2020 10:27 PM
J
John Milliman Offline
Founder/Developer
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Walk into one of those upscale yuppie coffee joints with all the foo foo drinks and try to pay with cash! dang

Um Martin ... how do you know so much about upscale yuppie coffee joints with all the foo foo drinks, anyway??

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Re: Cash only [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1341462 Fri Jan 10 2020 11:07 PM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
If you really want to confuse a "cashier" sometime, try paying for something that costs $6.50 with a $20.00 bill, a single, and two quarters. I did that at a fast food place a couple of years ago, and neither the counter gal nor her manager could figure out how much change to give me! The "manager" finally got out his calculator, and I told him which buttons to push! It took almost 10 minutes to get a five dollar bill and a ten back in my pocket! (and a cold hamburger and cold, greasy French fries!)
Jerry

LOL

I've had nearly that same experience. Nobody seems to be able to do simple addition and subtraction anymore. It's a sad state of affairs for sure. nono
It's kind of like all the "driver assist" functions that the new cars have now. Dumbing down the population, I tell you!!

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Re: Cash only [Re: coilover] #1341489 Sat Jan 11 2020 01:14 AM
2-Ton Offline
Shop Shark
I get two dollar bills from our small town bank. They will order them in for me and save any that may come thru.
Then my initials go in the top right corner. They are great for leaving tips and seem to always start a conversation.
Not to long ago I was checking out at a local grocery store and included one to pay the bill.
The young checker asked if it was real, the women behind me said "yes it is".
Guess the checker had never seen one before

I've given out over a hundred of them locally, in the last few years and have never had one come back to me.
But some waitresses and small stores, remember me for it.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Re: Cash only [Re: coilover] #1341492 Sat Jan 11 2020 01:20 AM
Rusty Rod Offline
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
you should put them all on "Wheres George".

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop