The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...


EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search
 
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!


Who's Online Now
7 members (reidy, 5WINDOWJOHN, Fox, festerhairball, Eureka Jim, Mike B, 1 invisible), 232 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,426
Posts973,547
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pilot light diesj
#1341242 Thu Jan 09 2020 08:57 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 798
F
Forty9 Offline OP
Shop Shark
1949 3100 6V. Bought an LED flasher for my Grote 966-4 turn signal. Everything worked fine including the pilot light for a few days and then pilot went out, signal lights still work and flasher clicks. This has happened using two different flashers of the same brand. Using a #51 bulb as the indicator pilot light. Wonder if I should use a #55 instead. Wiring diagram for flasher calls for a 3w bulb (#55) whereas the #51 is less than 2w. Would that difference cause the pilot lead to fail due to the less resistance to ground? Hard to believe both flasher units would fail in the same way.


Ed
Re: Pilot light diesj
Forty9 #1341252 Thu Jan 09 2020 09:38 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 2,968
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
No idea why the pilot would poof. But maybe the flasher just stresses the pilot bulb too much. Maybe you could try an LED bulb for the pilot in the turn signal. Might be a little bit of a search to find one that works on 6V, though.


Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Re: Pilot light diesj
Forty9 #1341286 Fri Jan 10 2020 01:37 AM
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,062
M
Shop Shark
Forty9, I had the exact same luck. After checking grounds, just let it go and do my best to remember to cancel the signal after a turn. Get it right about 75% of the time. The other 25% I'm just another old guy driving with his turn signal on, but it's in a cool truck so that's OK.

RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A



Re: Pilot light diesj
Forty9 #1341861 Mon Jan 13 2020 05:06 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,621
C
Shop Shark
I used to use a motorcycle beeper flasher since I have the memory span of a knat but now I use the Kawasaki self cancelling electronic flasher. The old flasher is one you WON'T forget since it was designed to compensate for engine and wind noise and about gives one a nose bleed inside a pickup cap with the windows up. A wrap of foam rubber and a couple of zip ties reduces the beep volume to a bearable level.


Evan

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4