The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, tomctomc, smaiocco), 183 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,959
Posts960,710
Members43,525
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
52 Panel in Vernon
#1334000 Sat Nov 16 2019 06:39 PM
G
Moderated
Hello BC Bolters
This is Geoff here in Vernon, BC, and I am a new member, as well as new to vehicle restoration. I have just bought a 52 Chev Panel truck, which has been on my bucket list since spending a summer touring around southern Ontario in my friend Dan’s 52 Panel in 1973. It is currently a driver, but it will require serious attention come the spring, and although it is completely stock, and was a summer driver for the previous owner in Calgary for 35 years, it is time for a serious look at the drive train. It has a 261 with a 235 high compression head, and still has the torque tube rear end. I am weighing options about S 10 running gear, and would like to hear from anyone about their experiences or advice concerning some torque tube options. I intend to keep the Panel pretty much stock, and am also researching the “bolt-on” disc brake options that appear to be available, as well as any other improvements that will bring the truck into the 21st century highway speeds.
Cheers.....Geoff in Vernon

Re: 52 Panel in Vernon
Geoff’sPanel #1334179 Mon Nov 18 2019 05:30 AM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy Geoff'sPanel, welcome, as your plans firm up ask us specific questions in the appropriate forums, good luck with your project.

Geoff’sPanel #1341200 Thu Jan 09 2020 03:40 PM
L
Shop Shark

http://s824.photobucket.com/al.../zz161/traversewife/ Welcome Geoff, Something that may interest you.

layback
Geoff’sPanel #1341204 Thu Jan 09 2020 04:00 PM
P
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
Your link does not work for me.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Geoff’sPanel #1341206 Thu Jan 09 2020 04:09 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Page does not exist. Why not use the Stovebolt Image program.? Instructions are in the left margin of every page.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Geoff’sPanel #1343846 Mon Jan 27 2020 05:16 AM
B
Shop Shark
Hi Geoff
I've been working on a 50 Chev PU, it came with a 54 235 with the 4 speed(is yours a 4 speed on the floor as well?) It came with a two piece open shaft with a slightly newer rear end (57 passenger car 3.1). I took the two piece shaft to a drive line outfit that installed a newer style steady or mid bearing, the old style bracket and bearing could not be found. Their computer program figured out the correct height of the bearing based on the angle difference between the engine and rear end. If I went to a single shaft I would have had to cut the rear end spring brackets to repostion to the required angle, so I took the easier route. So I made up a shim pack to reach this position they recommended. Only two years ago I've got it on the road and so far no major vibration issues. I did install a dual reservoir master cylinder with new lines and cylinders, and for some reason I can make it stop when I want to. Maybe not as good as a disc brake system but I don't drive fast and very cautious of other drivers.

I would rather be late 10 minutes in this life than 10 minutes early for the next

The reason my lady and I have been together so long is because of the kids. Neither one of us wanted sole custody

Moderated by  1958GMCnut 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop