The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Some light reading

ENTERTAINING ADVENTURES

In the Stovebolt Reading Room

A little light reading
OR
Epic stories of old tin hunting!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
25 registered members (BDammers47, azcornman, Achipmunk, 51sub, Bill Marlow, 55 SHAKER, 2 invisible), 393 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,341
Posts938,258
Members42,908
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Grrrrr! Cant win for losing #1340863 Tue Jan 07 2020 01:23 PM
T
tom moore Offline OP
Shop Shark
First, I never understood that euphemism: "Cant win for losing". Just what does that mean? (I'm not even sure if Euphenism is the correct word...)

So...this is a rant.

New neighbor, moved in about 1.5 years ago. About 1/4 mile or less down from our house on our road. There is a pasture that abuts his land and extends to our land line and about 100 feet from the house we built. its in plain sight and offers a nice view of the mountains and river.

For past 18 years, this road and pasture has been quiet, and very scenic. We moved there for the quiet environment next to the river and a road that receives maybe 25 cars a day or less.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday and the Christmas holiday this neighbor suddenly starts riding his snowmachine and doing donuts in front of our house and practicing jumps. it is wicked loud and annoying. He received permission from the absentee landowner to use the pasture to run his machine.. He does this now everyday after work til dark and then some.

Before this happened, he was our snowplow guy we hired to plow us out.

Last night when I arrived home from work I I couldn't tolerate the noise and walked over to where he was running his machine, and calmly, but firmly told him that this was annoying and tried to reason with him by explaining that we moved here and I built our house for the quiet this road offered. I also mentioned that i don't run my ATV's or my snowmachine in his backyard where the land abuts his house about 20 feet from their door.

I was honest, not confrontational but tried to reason with him. The short of the story? He told me that he will not plow us out anymore and this morning before light at 6:30 he was running his machine in front of our house and winding it out and doing jumps and donuts and ruining the quiet morning. Its all too funny for him.

Grrr! Maybe I now can understand the saying: I cant win for losing...

Why do people have to behave this way? Is there ever justice in the universe?

The ironic but sad part about it? Bad behavior tempts bad behavior. I can see how easy it is to stoop low (but I wont) and now my mind is thinking...
Can I sabotage his machine at night? Can I pour sugar in his tank, cut his treads, drain the oil, epoxy the steering? burn it? Run my machines near his view and front door? should I take my mufflers off and do this? Last thing I need is a neighbor war and I will take the high road but I'll tellya I can see how things escalate.

Last edited by tom moore; Tue Jan 07 2020 07:10 PM.
Re: Grrrrr! Cant win for losing [Re: tom moore] #1340868 Tue Jan 07 2020 01:43 PM
Justhorsenround Online
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
No

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Grrrrr! Cant win for losing [Re: tom moore] #1340882 Tue Jan 07 2020 03:27 PM
J
J Lucas Offline
Shop Shark
I've had my share of bad neighbor problems in the past. Got lucky, one went through a divorce and moved away and the other went to jail. My condolences, I know what you're going through.

Be patient, it'll most likely work itself out.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos!

Re: Grrrrr! Cant win for losing [Re: tom moore] #1340889 Tue Jan 07 2020 04:29 PM
Tiny Offline
Global Mod
Two options that I see. Check with your family lawyer. There are often nuisance regulations, especially if a county is zoned. Your family attorney can advise you on what you can and can't do. Option one, if there are nuisance regulations, file a complaint with the administrative jurisdiction. Option two, file suit against the neighbor. The success or failure of option two depends on the laws/statutes in play. I had a neighbor who was keeping over 20 greyhounds thirty feet from my bedroom window. The noise and smell was horrible. After consulting with our attorney I started collecting video and audio recordings of the dogs and had literally hours of evidence. I was VERY close to filing suit. The termite man was treating the house one early spring morning and mentioned the foul smell coming from the neighbor. I told him that I was days away from taking the neighbor to court. He must have told the neighbor because within a week the dogs were gone. Don't worry about starting a neighbor war because your neighbor has already done that. I would put video cameras on your house that record the area in a 24 hour loop to document the goings on.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Re: Grrrrr! Cant win for losing [Re: tom moore] #1340907 Tue Jan 07 2020 07:04 PM
tclederman Online
Boltergeist
Tom,

What is the name of your city, town, village, etc?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 15 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Grrrrr! Cant win for losing [Re: tom moore] #1340909 Tue Jan 07 2020 07:10 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Sugar in the gas doesn't work. However, Karo syrup in the crankcase does.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Grrrrr! Cant win for losing [Re: tom moore] #1340910 Tue Jan 07 2020 07:13 PM
T
tom moore Offline OP
Shop Shark
Ya know, I get a good chuckle out of your humor and others on this site, Jerry.

Re: Grrrrr! Cant win for losing [Re: tom moore] #1340934 Tue Jan 07 2020 10:06 PM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
If you have a bunch of old monofilament fishing line, take it out and spread it around the pasture. He'll have fun fishing it out of the track and suspension on his snowmachine. Maybe he'll get the hint.
We had a neighbor (renter) a few years ago who insisted on starting up his diesel in the morning with his remote starter and letting it run till it timed out and stopped 20 minutes later, then started it again. eek The exhaust was pointed right toward our bedroom wall which reverberated with the sound. I mentioned the issue to him and even offered to loan him an extension cord to plug it in. That didn't sink in. I sent a letter to the owner of the house complaining about that and all the junk they had laying around, but he wasn't able to do much about it due to the landlord/tenant laws. Finally the whole gang moved out. Peace and quiet again. yahoo

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Re: Grrrrr! Cant win for losing [Re: tom moore] #1340935 Tue Jan 07 2020 10:09 PM
T
TPR57C Offline
Shop Shark
Jerry let me have a play with a toy of his that would definitely quiet the neighbor

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Re: Grrrrr! Cant win for losing [Re: tom moore] #1340958 Tue Jan 07 2020 11:53 PM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Karma is the answer, but sometimes Karma needs a nudge.
I would not consider any physical. nor mechanical revenge, but rather, cerebral revenge.
Do some research to figure out what his pet peeves are and see to it that those are anonymously stimulated. It won't be loud noises. He seems to enjoy those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop