The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Points to Ponder

LOVE STRUCK!

You might be a Stovebolt Lover

Check the New Stuff and Announcements Forum

What do you think?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (48jim1ton, DennisM, clarsen3100, Bicounty, ClassicsR4Me, 2 invisible), 367 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,478
Posts939,123
Members42,871
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New guy from Central New York #1340678 Mon Jan 06 2020 10:14 AM
B
Babaganush Offline OP
New Guy
Hello, I am new to Stovebolt and a newborn when it comes to classic trucks. I don’t have one yet but have narrowed my choices to 1947 - 1965 Chevy and GMC. A couple of issues I am having is determining value? Seems like prices are all over the place and mostly rising but I don’t see these high priced trucks selling. The difference between online values from different sources could be as much as $10,000 for the same truck, same condition. Also, most consignment dealers that I have spoken to have little to no details on the trucks they are selling, same goes for EBay. Sellers post a few pics with little details and expect top dollar. I have also come across some scams. I did come across a 51 3100 with a 1960 235 that was in good condition and price seemed reasonable. The seller did take pics of engine serial numbers, etc but had already taken a deposit.

What’s with all the undercoating? I looked at a 59 Apache with undercoating on the back of the cab which was painted to match the rest of the truck. This truck was born and resided in California. I’ve seen multiple trucks with frames, underbody and gas tanks coated?

Since this would be my 1st truck, I was thinking that I would be better off buying something that was mostly original, period correct. I favor the inline 6 full oil pressure and hydraulic lifters. There seems to be a lot of performance upgrade parts. I did see one with a supercharger in a 54 coupe. There aren’t a lot of trucks in central New York and it seems the greatest availability is in the Midwest and West.

Thanks for listening any advice is appreciated as my search continues.

Re: New guy from Central New York [Re: Babaganush] #1340704 Mon Jan 06 2020 02:28 PM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Welcome to the Stovebolt. Keep your eyes out in the forums as there are quite a few bolters from your state.

Yes, most folks that have a truck for sale has watched to many Barrett Jackson episodes and are wishful thinkers. As for undercoating and stuff please beware. It can hide a thousand sins as well as just plain pictures. For a decent truck you will most likely pay a little premium but would be well worth it in the long run.

My first suggestion would be patience....and think with your head and not the pocketbook or sentimental stuff. Caution is the word.
Stovebolt is world wide, if you find one your truly interested in perhaps a bolter lives close by and can give you a visual inspection. For the top dollar jobs there should be plenty of DOCUMENTATION such as before and after pics. If not then suspect the worst. Things get crazy when you start taking stuff apart on the old trucks.

As for questions, you can ask more specific questions in the Forum most appropiate for that application and will get more comments from those who have "been there done that".

For me, I like to reference the Old Cars Price Guide.....its a GUIDE and not the bilble! Study the 6 conditions it used to put a price on the vehicles and you can get an idea of what your up against. Its a guide but gives you something to chew on....and of course a first hand inspection is in order before purchase. It is all about condition and with your wide range of years you should be able to come up with something...........and did I mention a little patience?

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: New guy from Central New York [Re: Babaganush] #1340706 Mon Jan 06 2020 03:03 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake

Your choices cover 3 different body styles and several engine options. Browse, study and become as knowledgeable as you can about the various differences. Then choose the style you really want and narrow your search to just those trucks. Be patient in your search don’t just jump in without doing your due diligence. Good luck.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: New guy from Central New York [Re: Babaganush] #1340708 Mon Jan 06 2020 03:06 PM
Hambone Offline
Shop Shark
Use that patience to narrow the date range. Your yrs-of-interest crosses 4 versions of trucks, the values of which may differ. Additionally, at this age they all have had or do have rust. Some were fixed right and some just buried the rust. The rust area will be consistent based on the version of truck. For example, i will tell you where the 60-66s were prone.
Find a vintage to narrow your search and then watch that market and ask questions. Stovebolters are glad to help. And worry about shipping later. I good was coast original is worth shipping to the rust coast, in my opinion. Welcome to the group.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1962 Chevrolet C10
Re: New guy from Central New York [Re: Babaganush] #1340743 Mon Jan 06 2020 05:47 PM
Rusty Rod Offline
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Welcome to the bolt... definitely narrow what you are looking for. But keep in mind, the newer the truck the more complicated some things get... that said, I just purchased a 67 suburban and was pretty surprised at the simplicity (and similarity) of the various components compared to the other "old" vehicles I have owned.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Re: New guy from Central New York [Re: Babaganush] #1340759 Mon Jan 06 2020 08:14 PM
T
TPR57C Offline
Shop Shark
Even downunder there are Stovebolt members to help you there will be one close to you and only friends to help you out enjoy keeping the dream alive

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Re: New guy from Central New York [Re: Babaganush] #1340789 Tue Jan 07 2020 12:37 AM
B
Babaganush Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks everyone, sounds like I joined the right forum. I appreciate the advice and am learning as I go.

Re: New guy from Central New York [Re: Babaganush] #1340811 Tue Jan 07 2020 02:07 AM
69Cuda Offline
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
welcome to the site!

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Re: New guy from Central New York [Re: Babaganush] #1340839 Tue Jan 07 2020 04:42 AM
R
Rich'sToys Offline
Shop Shark
Welcome aboard!
Don't know if you've done this, but another place to check would be the Swap Meet forums on this board. There is a "Trucks for Sale" section that may have something of interest for you.
They are out there. It just takes patience sometimes.
Good luck!!

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Re: New guy from Central New York [Re: Babaganush] #1340842 Tue Jan 07 2020 04:52 AM
2-Ton Offline
Shop Shark
Welcome to the garage! Good advice has been given above. I'm going to be thinning my little herd of trucks and cars this spring.
So keep an eye on the swap meet threads.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop