The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (2ManyTrucks, agedhorse, North of 40, Eureka Jim, tomctomc), 225 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,060
Posts961,569
Members43,548
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LS dress up tip
#1340263 Fri Jan 03 2020 03:33 PM
C
Shop Shark
The "L" series GM engines (LS, LT, LQ) are probably the best engine ever offered but the ones with exposed coils will win no beauty contests. A standard dress up item is after market coil covers which takes a bunch of ugly off the duckling and gives some swan beauty. Herein lies a problem as a set from maybe the best known induction parts company DON'T FIT. I won't give a name because they have just been made aware of the problem and I'm 99.9% sure they will resolve the problem. These covers move the coils from the factory position to the underside of the dress up covers but the factory coils won't mount (different bolt spacing) and the coils included in the kit have the injector wire plug on the opposite side which is inaccessible. The only opening in the cover is for the spark plug wires at the bottom so heat is trapped in around the coils.

Dress up cover with coils mounted to underside, no vents. Factory coil at bottom.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Wd2kJ2rD/IMG-4992.jpg[/img]

Vented cover that just fits over the factory coils---look closely at the center to see mesh.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/JyCYVHBy/IMG-4838.jpg[/img]

Evan
Re: LS dress up tip
coilover #1340271 Fri Jan 03 2020 05:02 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Interesting. It would be neat to have BBC or Olde Skool Hemi "fake" valve covers.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
coilover #1340349 Fri Jan 03 2020 11:49 PM
Shop Shark
I'm going to put a 5.3 truck engine in a 55 Chevy 210, so I might just only open the hood on request. They are definitely "form follows function" as far as looks go.

coilover #1340350 Fri Jan 03 2020 11:51 PM
D
Wrench Fetcher
I think it's a great idea. I too would be concerned about the extra heat the coils would be subjected to on the first set of covers. The vented covers are probably safer. I've seen at shows where some people mount the coils on the fender-well with longer plug wires, and that's not bad looking.

-David

1953 2-Ton GMC

Horsepower determines your speed when you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make...
coilover #1340596 Sun Jan 05 2020 05:10 PM
B
Shop Shark
Even kissing a frog will not help to make a LS motor look good. All the cover up tricks guys try to hide the ugliness doesn’t help as we know what’s under the camouflage. Kinda like putting lipstick on a pig.

Last edited by beltfed; Sun Jan 05 2020 05:11 PM.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
DavidBraley #1340963 Wed Jan 08 2020 12:13 AM
B
Shop Shark
They dont have any issues with heak soak. My LS turbo car will run 240 deg sometimes at the end of a hard 2 laps off the rev limiter. Underhood temps will melt most zip ties under it and has melted lots of other things. Coils have never been a issue and they are right next to a glowing exhaust manifold thats up and forward.

Here is pics of a decent camouflaged LS for those that are bothered.

Attached Files
Last edited by Barnfind49; Wed Jan 08 2020 12:22 AM.
coilover #1340971 Wed Jan 08 2020 01:06 AM
G
Shop Shark
Hmmm. They are about the best looking LS motors ive yet to see, anywhere for that matter. Maybe because they look like something they're not? The key here seems to be, making them look like vintage style/type motors. Whys that? If you want modern powerplants, why dress em to look like older motors? Kinda like, you wouldn't dress an older motor to look like a LS unit. Or is that a thing also?? drive

glenns towing #1341121 Thu Jan 09 2020 12:35 AM
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by glenns towing
Hmmm. They are about the best looking LS motors ive yet to see, anywhere for that matter. Maybe because they look like something they're not? The key here seems to be, making them look like vintage style/type motors. Whys that? If you want modern powerplants, why dress em to look like older motors? Kinda like, you wouldn't dress an older motor to look like a LS unit. Or is that a thing also?? drive

Following your line of reasoning, why bother starting with an old truck to begin with? The answer will invariably be styling. Same reasoning can be applied as to why dress up an LS engine which looks like a de-fleshed Terminator. Again, styling.
I have a 1974 350 in my '49. I shortened 216 valve covers, painted the Thrift-master lettering on them, and covered the original 350 valve covers with them.
People cannot stop staring at them at car shows. Many cannot figure out what engine it is.
That's why I do it.

coilover #1341128 Thu Jan 09 2020 12:56 AM
G
Shop Shark
Well answered. Never was really up my ally. I like to see things for what they are. But to each their own. I dont care much for Halloween either, but thats jmo also.

coilover #1341186 Thu Jan 09 2020 01:10 PM
T
Shop Shark
I grew up around drag Racing on the West Coast, there was always someone doing something different. If it worked everyone followed suit, if it didn't they just tried something else. I knew a guy with a 440 in a Vega, didn't look right but he would take the win light form you more often then not...There are some really good looking LS's out there and you can't complain about the performance. A lot of work goes into making these engines look period correct , I do appreciate the ingenuity and creative genius it takes to do that. I personally just don't like them in older vehicles, I see them at shows with an LS in a Ford or Mopar, that I just don't get. If you have a Mopar it should have a Mopar engine. I know that the same was true about the SBC, 350's were put in everything, I didn't understand that either.... I know this is the HYPO forum and this is where different is accepted, or at the least tolerated.

Last edited by TUTS 59; Thu Jan 09 2020 01:12 PM.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop