The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (baldilocks, 51 Bjelojac, embornemann, alemachevyman, 2 invisible), 264 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,992
Posts961,009
Members43,528
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Another new guy in Arizona
#1339994 Wed Jan 01 2020 05:22 PM
M
Moderated

Well, not exactly "new"

I dug my '54 3-window 3100 out from under a palo verde tree out in the desert about a year and a half ago, where it had sat since the mid 1980's; and I've been mining the Stovebolt forums for tech info ever since I first brought it home, so one of my 2020 resolutions was to finally set up a user profile, and post some pics...

After sitting for 30 years, and being packed with rats nests, cactus needles, and various other undesirable debris, The best part of my efforts so far have been to clear away everything that isn't a 54 chevy truck, and expose everything that is... My daughter and I spent a solid 2 days just clearing out the cab- every rodent in southern Arizona had converted the under-seat storage into rat heaven (and one of them, sadly, even made it his final tomb) but once it was down to steel, everything looked good- The floor has one minor rust-through near the battery compartment, and some pitting, but is otherwise still strong enough to bear weight, so I will treat it with Eastwoods rust converter product, and see if I can preserve it.

in fact, "preservation" will be my entire theme in the visual department... The body is outstanding, and the truck has earned it's patina, so it will get to keep it. I'll scratch off the surface rust with a scotch brite pad, and will seal the patina with Everbrite. The bed will get new wood, but I'm not going to get fancy- I'll do it the way it came, with black stained pine. The seat will get a pair of mexican blankets (with brown, green and tan stripes, to match the truck)

Mechanically,The truck seems to be fairly original (minus some very dubious wiring work which will be handled in due time) and even though the engine has been painted red, the numbers suggest that it is the truck's "born with" engine (H 4 4 casting date, and F54X on the distributor pad stamp) . So I am conflicted about what to do mechanically... My wife and daughter are both in love with the truck and will want to drive it, but I'm not about to turn either of them loose into modern traffic with an old 3 on the tree, a 120HP engine that won't be able to get out of it's own way, and a set of drum brakes that are best suited for "slowing the truck down, until it finally stops"

But still- a car is only original once, and the engine turns over (I still have to verify that it makes compression and oil pressure, however)

I don't want to do any hacking on this truck's chassis or running gear, so I'm probably going to get it running, driving and stopping as-is, finish cleaning everything up, and then I will surgically remove the original powertrain and wrap it in plastic; and will put in a donor powertrain with an automatic and open driveline... someday.

Attached Files
20160522_131444.jpg (332.56 KB, 101 downloads)
20200101_094544.jpg (270.75 KB, 101 downloads)
20191228_160946.jpg (293.31 KB, 98 downloads)
20191110_154720.jpg (350.98 KB, 98 downloads)
20180309_162049.jpg (286.01 KB, 98 downloads)

Call me Robert.
Re: Another new guy in Arizona
moore_rb #1340001 Wed Jan 01 2020 06:37 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Welcome to the 'bolt. That looks like a very nice start to a solid family project.

You probably don't need to be told, but please use good face masks when cleaning up the rodent droppings AND when grinding off the residue! My father got pretty sick from that. I also just went through the process of removing several rodent nests from my 67 suburban.. yuck.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
moore_rb #1340003 Wed Jan 01 2020 07:01 PM
P
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
What a nice truck to start with. You’ve got a good plan and help is just a post away. The knowledge and expertise on this forum is unparalleled anywhere on the web. Welcome to the “Bolt”!

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
moore_rb #1340012 Wed Jan 01 2020 07:43 PM
Boltergeist
Welcome to Stovebolt. After reading your story I didn't know what to expect but once I looked at the pictures I can tell the Arizona climate had been very good to your truck.
We have guys and gals here that have done all sorts of things to trucks so don't be afraid to ask questions. We're here to help.
As you are probably aware, there are several upgrades you can do to your truck to make it safer and "user friendly" and still maintain its integrity. Good luck. keep us posted...........see you around the garage.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
moore_rb #1340018 Wed Jan 01 2020 08:07 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

moore_rb #1340066 Thu Jan 02 2020 04:46 AM
R
Shop Shark
Welcome! Looks like you found a nice solid old truck there. Congratulations!!

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Rusty Rod #1340087 Thu Jan 02 2020 03:18 PM
M
Moderated
Originally Posted by Rusty Rod

You probably don't need to be told, but please use good face masks when cleaning up the rodent droppings AND when grinding off the residue! My father got pretty sick from that. I also just went through the process of removing several rodent nests from my 67 suburban.. yuck.

Oh yeah, the day we cleaned out the cab, I made my daughter wear my paint respirator, and I wore a heavy duty dust mask... So neither of us suffered any ill effects.

We both stayed a lot healthier than THIS guy, anyway, who spent his final days twisted up in the seat springs...

Attached Files
20191110_133432.jpg (289.08 KB, 56 downloads)

Call me Robert.
moore_rb #1340110 Thu Jan 02 2020 05:40 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
Welcome to a very "Nice & Friendly site" that really knows these Trucks . And, a pretty clean looking rig right from th'
start . Plus, I'm another "new member" - - from Arizona (North side of Chino Valley), so , I'm Looking in for sure.
Good 'building' , and , stay with - it .

jim

Last edited by Twinshadows; Thu Jan 02 2020 05:41 PM.
moore_rb #1340200 Fri Jan 03 2020 03:33 AM
G
New Guy
Looks like a great truck to work with. Still trying to find a nice '49 5 windiw like my great grandpa had to restore. If I do, my current project will be sidelined again.

Everyone has a different opinion on how to restore your truck. What matters most is that you are happy with the results, whether it is a restoration, modification or just cleaned up and driven as is. I like all the choices. Good luck.

Grumpy Old Farmer

GrumpyOldFarmer #1340250 Fri Jan 03 2020 02:18 PM
Boltergeist
[quote=Everyone has a different opinion on how to restore your truck. What matters most is that you are happy with the results, whether it is a restoration, modification or just cleaned up and driven as is. I like all the choices. Good luck.

Grumpy Old Farmer[/quote]

..........right on brother grumpy farmer. At least we keep them on the road.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop