The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (3B, Doc.Hall, 53 green 1- ton, DennisM, 66flea, EdPruss), 94 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,624
Posts957,935
Members43,451
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sealants, threadlockers, and epoxies???s
#1339987 Wed Jan 01 2020 04:42 PM
Shop Shark
I have an assortment of sealants, threadlockers, epoxies, etc. that are used on an occasional basis. Today, I went to use a red threadlocker and found that it 'weeped' out of the original sealed tube for no apparent reason. The major brand name materials I have are all less than three years old and have been carefully stored so as not to subject them to freezing temperatures. Perhaps, I just don't use enough of these materials and I recognize there is a reasonable 'shelf life'(older product = longer curing time), but I hate to purchase another tube from project-to-project.

I have a few questions:

How are you storing these materials?

Do you have confidence that a product will perform as intended for weeks, months, and years?

Do you discard opened tubes after a year or so?

Any other thoughts or comments on this subject would be appreciated, thanks.

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104 [flic.kr]
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred [flic.kr]

"A Jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one." - Benjamin Franklin
Re: Sealants, threadlockers, and epoxies???s
HandyAndy #1339990 Wed Jan 01 2020 04:58 PM
C
Shop Shark
We use a refridgerator for storing all our chemicals; the cool slows down the reaction. Partial tubes of caulk are helped the most. A second box that used to be a small camper fridge has a light bulb in it to keep welding/brazing rods dry. DON'T keep food in with the chemicals.

Evan
HandyAndy #1340065 Thu Jan 02 2020 04:40 AM
R
Shop Shark
I've noticed, with silicones in particular, that the cap on the tube will split open for no apparent reason. Once that happens the stuff will of course dry up and be worthless. Why those caps fail I have no idea.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

HandyAndy #1340067 Thu Jan 02 2020 04:53 AM
H
Boltergeist
I've started buying thread locker in small foil pouches- - - -just enough for one job and discard the leftovers, which usually isn't more than a few drops. Even if two pouches are needed for a big job, the cost savings is considerable. Silicone anti-seize for rubber spark plug boots and heat-conducting dielectric compound for ignition modules is sold the same way. Brush-on gasket sealer like Permatex Super 300 seems to last forever as long as it capped snugly.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
HandyAndy #1340102 Thu Jan 02 2020 04:44 PM
W
Shop Shark
For the thread lock in plastic tubes, I drilled a 6" long piece of 2x4 with holes almost through and stand the tubes in the holes. If I lay them on their sides, they leak that sticky mess.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

28 Years of Daily Driving. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
HandyAndy #1340138 Thu Jan 02 2020 08:48 PM
S
Shop Shark
I use loctite thread loc in lips stick style tubes .Great never leaks and is good for a very long time. I have red, blue ,green some over five years old,still the same as when new.

HandyAndy #1340202 Fri Jan 03 2020 03:45 AM
G
New Guy
We use a lot of loctite on the ranch. Have blue, red and green sleeve retainer in the "big" bottles. No special storage, just room temp on a shelf. Products are nit over 5 years old and still work fine. Just keep the cap on to seal the bottle.

Silicones are best used quickly. They all seem to dry out once they are opened.

Antiseize....that stuff seems to last forever, especially Catapillar brand.

HandyAndy #1340254 Fri Jan 03 2020 02:39 PM
Shop Shark
Thanks for your replies. There are some good purchasing, usage, and storage suggestions we can all benefit from while using these products.

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104 [flic.kr]
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred [flic.kr]

"A Jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one." - Benjamin Franklin
HandyAndy #1340280 Fri Jan 03 2020 05:42 PM
M
Shop Shark
I like the stick form. It seems to last forever and not near the mess. Also the gel form is nice for inside threads. I am using all stainless fasteners. The anti seize in stick form is a godsend

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop