The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Some light reading

ENTERTAINING ADVENTURES

In the Stovebolt Reading Room

A little light reading
OR
Epic stories of old tin hunting!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
23 registered members (David C., Barney1951, bwilliams, 4 invisible), 354 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,345
Posts938,267
Members42,908
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
keeping rust off of new patch panels #1339439 Sat Dec 28 2019 02:13 PM
M
Mike Burns Offline OP
Shop Shark
I'm wondering if it would be a good idea for me to put a coat of epoxy on my new cab patch panels, prior to installation. The panels all have some sort of black coating on them that supposedly protects them, but I wonder just how good a job it does. Especially since some panels are never exposed or accessable on one side, after theyre installed.

Re: keeping rust off of new patch panels [Re: Mike Burns] #1339452 Sat Dec 28 2019 05:31 PM
T
TBUChevy Offline
Wrench Fetcher
The tricky issue with putting any type of coating on a patch panel is that it will have to be removed prior to welding. Welding requires clean bare metal for a good joint.

If you mask the panel to leave bare metal where the parts join there is still concern that the heat from the welding will cause some gases to be released from that coating. Obviously that concern varies based on which coating you have applied.

The better way to handle this is to plan to apply rustproofing into those closed cavities after you have completed the metal repair. You will have to drill and then plug the access holes.

Rusty

Moderated by  Fourbrads, HandyAndy 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop