The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
2023 ... plans, plans, plans

Holidays are over

Hunkering down for winter ... how about your truck?
Winter storage.

Doing some truck maintenance?
The Shops Area may be useful.

Eager to plans some trips?
See what's shaking near you in The Side Lot.

How about your computer?
Plenty of help in the IT Shortbus.

Be of good cheer!
The days are getting longer.
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
2023 Old Truck Calendars
First one
Nothing like old trucks working

2023 Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (fonz8261, 78buckshot, 2-Ton, BolognaBurrito, 3 invisible), 208 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,267
Posts1,053,232
Members46,580
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1338709 Sun Dec 22 2019 05:37 PM
T
'Bolter
Next week we are going to do a trail assembly and installation of the box on a '49 3100. We think we have all the pieces. The reason we want to do a trial is that there are still some parts that need to be final welded into place. Plus there has been a lot of repair work done on the sides and front panel. We want to make sure everything fits as expected before final primer and paint.

Any advice or guidance about the assembly is appreciated!

Here are a few questions we have.

1) What size and style hardware was used at the various box assembly points? For example the front panel to crossmember, front corners of the front panel to the sides, and the rear of the sides to the rear crossmember. I cannot fit a 5/16" drill bit into any of the holes and slots but I find it hard to believe that the box was held together with 1/4" hardware.

2) How thick are the boards for the bed? I think they are 3/4". We have not bought the bed kit yet so we want to duplicate that thickness where the mounting blots go through the crossmember and frame.

3) What is the orientation of the angle strips that are welded to the sides of the box. Does the leg that attaches to the box go up or down? Does the horizontal leg rest on top of the cross members or does it butt against the ends? Or does it rest on the bed boards?

Thanks for the help! And enjoy the holidays!

Rusty
AD Addict
There is a couple of Tech Tips that may answer some of your questions. Bed Mounts 1/2 Ton Advance Design and another on Rebuilding Wooden Beds.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop & Interiors

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
T
'Bolter
Hi Phil,

Thanks for those links. I agree that are great sources of information for mounting the box and installing he bed. We will be very happy when we get to that stage!

I did find a source that explains how to mount the angles along the side. So I think we have that covered.

Still trying to determine what size hardware is used to bolt the box together.

Rusty
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
The front panel to front cross-sill and front panel to bedside bolts were 1/4". Since there are quite a few of them at each joint, 1/4" bolts are plenty strong enough.
The rear cross-sill to bedside bolts were 5/16. Since there are only 4 of them per corner at the bottom of the stake pockets, GM upsized them a bit.Mar-K's catalog shows them as indented hex head bolts with an integral washer on the head for the rear, if you want to stay with the original style. Their catalog # for zinc plated bolts is 100577 for your truck if you don't already have them.

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
T
'Bolter
Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much. That really helps me understand what I was observing.

And thanks for the tip about using the Mar-K catalog as a reference.

Rusty
B
'Bolter
Here is some detail on the boards, thickness and dimensions.
A=3/4" (board thickness) B=1/4" C=1/4" D=1/2" E=1/8"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/9689547056/in/album-72157631884205225/

T
'Bolter
We were able to do a successful mock-up on the box on the frame earlier this week. It really helped us properly locate the angles that are welded to the sides of the box.

Thanks for the help.

Rusty

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop