The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Points to Ponder

LOVE STRUCK!

You might be a Stovebolt Lover

Check the New Stuff and Announcements Forum

What do you think?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (48jim1ton, DennisM, clarsen3100, Bicounty, ClassicsR4Me, 3 invisible), 356 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,478
Posts939,123
Members42,871
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Storage [Re: Chuck52] #1338282 Thu Dec 19 2019 12:17 AM
G
Gord&Fran Offline
Shop Wrasse
Moisture (humidity) is the big problem in our area. A couple of weeks ago, I opened the garage door and in less than 5 minutes there was condensation all over the truck. My biggest concern was that the gauge clusters fogged up. Took it out and drove it around for a few miles - the cab got nice and toasty warm and the gauges cleared. I suppose the lesson here is don't open the garage door unless you are going to drive the truck.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Re: Storage [Re: Chuck52] #1338286 Thu Dec 19 2019 01:42 AM
P
Phak1 Offline
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
Living in upstate New York (and I suspect Michigan has similar weather), I have been storing my wife's non-stovebolt convertible in a non heated garage for the past six years and this year my ‘52 Chevy 3100. Moisture during the winter has never been a issue. I place moisture absorbers inside the vehicle and they were never full when I opened the vehicle in the spring. Winter storage lasts from the first snow in November (so as to avoid the salt) thru mud season in April. The biggest issue with moisture, is in the spring when I open the garage door and every piece of metal, which is much cooler then the ambient air temperature, within minutes condensates. The cool concrete walls condensate puddles of water on the floor to the point I was positive that the contractor who built my garage didn’t seal the walls and floor properly. As long as the garage door was closed it wasn’t an issue.

The biggest issue I’ve encountered was a dead battery. In NY a dead battery in freezing temperatures cracks the battery. Since then, I place trickle chargers on all of my batteries. My preference is Battery Tenders by Deltran. I don’t disconnect the battery in my wife’s vehicle as it reset all the codes but I will disconnect the battery on my ‘52.

I have also learned my lesson with ethanol gas and I use nothing but non-ethanol gas. If your truck is a daily driver, you can use ethanol gas during the year but run the last tank or two with non-ethanol if available. I also treat my gas prior to storage with stabol.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Re: Storage [Re: Chuck52] #1338291 Thu Dec 19 2019 02:01 AM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
When I lived in “upstate NY” for 35 years, before I had the 6” cement floors poured in the non-heated garage, I place two layers of 6 mil polyethylene over the gravel bed.

Winter truck procedure:

Fill the gas tank with regular (regular ethanol formula) fuel before hibernation and put gas treatment in the fuel tank.

After filling the tank and treating the gas, I ran the engine for 15 minutes.

I left the truck-radial tires on the truck, and the truck/tires on the floor.

The 6v battery was left in the truck, on a “controlled” trickle charge.
That Optima 6v battery is at least 15 years old.

There were never any problems after hibernation. All I had to do was:
- prime the carburetor with a little gas (with choke open)
- pump the gas pedal a few times
- pull the choke closed
- crank the engine
- and, finally, on the first indication of firing, I released the choke a little

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 15 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Storage [Re: Chuck52] #1338596 Sat Dec 21 2019 05:47 PM
F
Frank50 Offline
Shop Shark
Lots of similar discussions about winter storage on the motorcycle forums. Some guys go to extremes. All I ever did was be sure I had it parked in the garage where I wanted it to sit, and turn off the key. 😎. I never used a battery tender. Don’t own one. Bike never failed to start come spring. Sold it at 7 years old with the original battery. Your mileage may vary.

Professional Novice
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop