The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (3800rao, 2ManyTrucks, 55 SHAKER, Deltamac, Blue 57, buoymaker), 113 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,781
Posts942,403
Members43,042
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Marketing an old vehicle?
Paul_WNC #1338355 Thu Dec 19 2019 03:53 PM
Hey look! It's a ...
Paul,

Why don't you like ebay? A year or so ago, we sold our M-37 (talk about a small buyer population ...) on ebay and was happy with the transaction. Tried to sell my firetruck (again, small buyer population, especially for a tanker truck) in Hemmings and paid their almost reasonable classified fee and got zero response (plus, it took the ad more than a month to show up in the magazine). Ended up selling it on craigslist far faster and easier than Hemmings.

Not sure I understand the angst about ebay or craigslist as I have had good success with both. I can't imagine you would have any problem selling your Scout II (I assume it is in decent condition and you have it fairly priced ... wink ) ... last I heard, they were pretty popular.

smile
John

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Paul_WNC #1338415 Fri Dec 20 2019 02:03 AM
W
Master Gabster
This the way to market a car. Then ask HRL, Jerry to inspect int for you. Yes on my list but not my first choice, a 4 dr. was at one time but I have changed to a 2dr sedan preference.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Paul_WNC #1338428 Fri Dec 20 2019 03:35 AM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
I've sold cars on ebay, craigslist, marketplace, classic car trader, and llllong time ago using newspaper ads. I try to be as honest as I can and not down play any issues.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Paul_WNC #1338448 Fri Dec 20 2019 12:18 PM
P
Shop Shark
Yeah I remember buying and selling cars using the newspaper classified ads. That was a totally different experience and now seems like it was centuries ago. Remember getting the paper late Friday and trying to scoop up the good deals that people would list just in the Sat/Sun paper?

Well you all have effectively demonstrated that I need to objectively consider all of the sales platforms a little more thoroughly.

Admittedly, my trepidation about eBay is mostly from inexperience. I have bought a bunch of items needed to get my 41 Chevy together but have never sold anything. It certainly would get lots of exposure.

In the past, I have also sold old vehicles on craigslist (mostly low value used up high mileage commuter cars) and received way too many bizarre inquiries. Those sales were reaching a population that was on the bottom of the economic spectrum though and included: hoodlum scammers, folks that wanted to trade for chickens, insulting low ball offers, requests to pay $20 a week, etc. Perhaps I am basing my expectations from those experiences. I would assume this Scout will be attractive to more of a hobbyist market similar to us Stovebolters, someone that at least has the ability to pull off a restomod or restoration.

I guess I really need to clean up the truck so it will show well and take a bunch of well composed images. I have already gotten her running and stopping good employing many of the techniques learned from you all on this forum...even though its not a Stovebolt.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_WNC; Fri Dec 20 2019 12:19 PM.
Rusty Rod #1338456 Fri Dec 20 2019 01:57 PM
I
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Rusty Rod
I've sold cars on ebay, craigslist, marketplace, classic car trader, and llllong time ago using newspaper ads. I try to be as honest as I can and not down play any issues.

I believe this what Rod says above is the most important thing about selling a car or truck on any of the ways that are out there to use.. sure, you get tire kickers and I got plenty when selling my 71 Chevy truck..but that goes along with selling a vehicle ,, be nice ,,,say no to the ones who are trying to buy your car or truck for pennys on the dollars and tell them if the ad is not on the selling site anymore,,,,,, you will know that that I went with a higher bidder.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop