The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Hello there ...
We have a request from "Harold46".

Curious?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (Jeff Meng, frogfarmer, aircommando462, Conductacator, destryridesagain, 1 invisible), 170 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,016
Posts1,000,879
Members44,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Starter Squeels
#13372 Fri Jul 09 2004 04:29 AM
C
Wrench Fetcher
Hi Guys,

For about a week or so the starter has been making this slight "wheeee" sound when I let go of the key when starting the engine.
Today I dropped the starter to bench test it.

I hooked the starter up the battery with some jumper cables, and used a really big flat tip screw driver to spin it.

It takes a few moments from a dead stop to get the starter up to speed, and is still pretty slow. The bushing on the end next to the teeth is flopping around on the shaft, and is not where it should. There's slack in the shaft(wobble), and when power is off it does make a "whoooooo" sound. frown

I also have the starter off of the V8 I got that is also a manual trans starter that bolts up to the bell housing not engine block. THe only difference I see is the mounts, can I change the mounts, and have a good starter? :confused:
I checked this one, it cranked over like mad, and is smooth like new. smile
TIA,
David

My truck don't leak oil, it just marks its teritory.
Re: Starter Squeels
#13373 Fri Jul 09 2004 04:53 AM
H
'Bolter
You can probably swap the nose cone, but you'll need to install a new front bushing before you do. Be careful to get the right "end play" on the armature, as it's critical for correct gear engagement in the flywheel. There should be a slight clearance front-to-rear on the armature, not a tight fit. It's adjusted by installing different thickness thrust washers at the rear of the starter if you need to change the clearance. Be sure the starter drives have the same number of teeth. A mismatch there could damage the flywheel, and then you've got real problems!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
#13374 Fri Jul 09 2004 05:37 AM
Extreme Gabster
Check your private messages, I have an extra starter.

Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#13375 Mon Jul 12 2004 07:38 PM
C
Wrench Fetcher
Hi Guys,
The other day I did alot of calling around to a bunch of shops, even the dealerships. None of them had a starter rebuild kit, or bushings for this starter. eek :confused:

So my Dad & I went to a AC Delco parts place in Manteca (north of town), and did pick up the bushings, retainer clip, and half of the spacer I was missing for $1.83. grin About an hour later I was back on the road with a very fast turning starter that acts like it's on steroids. eek grin cool
David

#13376 Mon Jul 12 2004 07:51 PM
C
Wrench Fetcher
I forgot to mention that the guy at the counter said that some how the starter ate up/disentergrated(sp) the retainer clip ring, and half the spacer (at the tip of the drive end of the starter).
:confused:
David

#13377 Tue Jul 13 2004 03:18 AM
T
Cool deal on that starter. Is the Delco place on North Main Street? We used have them repair stuff for us when I was kid. I thought that place went out of business 30 years ago. I have a have generator that needs field coils and bearings. I will have to give them a call.

#13378 Tue Jul 13 2004 03:58 AM
H
'Bolter
There's a rebuilder in Nashville, TN. that specializes in all sorts of oddball stuff, including old GM starters, generators, regulators, etc. I found a set of brushes for the generator I used in my charging system tech tip article, for less than $5.00. (I've installed a bunch of them at a buck a set, but that was back when the labor rate was $7.50 an hour!) No website, but write or call if you've got a parts supply problem:

Todd's Auto Parts
206 N. 1st. Street
Nashville, TN. 37213

(615) 254-6264, (615) 256-1477

No, I'm not on the payroll, so I'm NOT advertising!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
#13379 Tue Jul 13 2004 10:34 AM
C
Wrench Fetcher
Originally posted by Task Force Dan:
Cool deal on that starter. Is the Delco place on North Main Street? We used have them repair stuff for us when I was kid. I thought that place went out of business 30 years ago. I have a have generator that needs field coils and bearings. I will have to give them a call.
Yes, they're still located on Main st. smile
David

#13380 Wed Jul 14 2004 05:32 AM
T
Chevyboy 62,

Thanks for confirming the location. The old truck could use a run down to Manteca.

Hotrod Lincoln,

Thanks for another source.

Dan

#13381 Wed Jul 14 2004 05:55 AM
G
Task Force Dan, there is a guy in Placerville that does this kind of work.............He re-wound my 6 volt generator to 12V, all I had to do was get a 12V regulator, battery and bulbs,etc. It was re-brushed and re-bushed at the same time. I don't remember how much it was; but I never had any trouble with it.

Jerry's Generator Service
3102 Blairs Lane
Placerville, CA 95667
(530)622-6257

*** GMC ***

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop