I've been a member of this site for about 10 years now, read through a lot of threads and just recently started posting my own about parts and information regarding my 1940 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup. Thank you to all those who have commented and offered up information and suggestions.
About my '40:
This truck and I have history dating back about 30 years. Circa 1989 or 1990, about the time I was a senior in High school, my dad brought home the rusted ol' Chevy truck he'd picked up for $300 on a whim from some guy he ran into at the local parts store. We spent that weekend tuning it up and making sure everything was in good operating order. Then it was time to take it out for a test run! Now I'd spend a lot of time on the family farm and drove/operated all kinds of farm equipment, trucks and tractors and learned to drive in an old '62 Chevy pickup with an inline 6 and 3 on tree, but had never "double clutched" before. It was a heck of learning experience for both of us, lots of gear grinding and bucking... But I drove that thing as often as I could the next few months until the old man sold it to a cousin, I wasn't too happy about it but there was nothing I could do! Soon after, dad and grandpa drove the truck about 60 miles to deliver it my cousin with me following up in the old man's blazer. It was a sad day indeed, and I didn't see the truck again for a long time! Man I wish I had pictures of this time!
In about 2002 or so I picked up another 1940 Chevy, this time a 1/2 ton with flatbed from the family farm of a co-worker. I got it running and but ended up needing money for day to day living more than I needed an old truck, so it was sold.
Fast forward to about April of 2006 when I was attending a wedding and ran into the cousin that had purchased the truck so I inquired about it. He said he hadn't done anything with it but getting ready to retire and had planned to get started on it that fall, no he wasn't interested in selling it yet as he'd purchased an S-10 frame and was all set to swap it over. Dejected, I let it go again.
Then in about May or June of 2009 I got a call asking if I was still interested in the truck! I was elated and thankfully in a position to be able to purchase it and have a place to keep it, although outside next to the garage. So I borrowed some 6 lug rally wheels from a buddy, hooked on to the trailer and headed out to bring the old girl home out of the tree row!
Once she was resting in her new spot at the house, I drained and changed all the fluids. Pulled the spark plugs and turned the engine over by hand to make sure it was free. Nice easy revs, no sticking or catching… and the plugs looked almost new. Replaced them anyway along with wires, coil, points, rotor and condenser. Rigged up a fuel tank, put a new battery in, quick shot of starting fluid and a couple presses of the starting switch and she fired up and idled like she’d been driven every day for last 20 years. I was a happy camper or bolter in this case!
I tinkered around with the old truck for the next year or so doing random items here and there like replacing some of the chewed up wiring. Rebuilt the entire brake system, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, all new lines and hoses, blocks and shoes. It was about this time I was asked if it could be used in a friend’s wedding in a few weeks as it was a static display and wedding photo prop! After the wedding appearance and photos, I took the truck out to my Uncle’s property and parked it beside the horse barn for what was supposed to be a temporary gig until I had time to work on it properly, that was 2010. Life always finds a way to detour the best laid plans.
It’s now 2019 and after another 9 years of being neglected outside, I finally made it a priority mission to dig her back out of the proverbial tree row and breathe some life back in her. She stills turns over fine, the plugs still look clean, but the generator was stuck and the starter was sticking. As of this posting I still have yet to fire her back up, but she has some new parts. Starter and generator freshly rebuilt, new cap, rotor, wires, condenser, battery, battery cables, belt and hoses. Fluids drained and changed again with the exception of the fuel related items… I’ll most likely replace the tank and rebuild the fuel pump and carb, but after I make sure she’ll run. More to come hopefully in the near future, but winter has set in here in the Midwest and the garage gets cold….
Thanks for reading the novella and sticking with me this long.
Until next time, James
The first 2 pictures are the day I picked her up in 2009, 3rd picture is when I got her back home, then at the wedding for the photo shoot and finally a couple weeks ago in my garage getting some much needed TLC.
Great story James. Life has thrown a few curve balls my way as well. I cannot view your pictures without signing up (and paying money) to Photobucket. In case you are not aware, the Stovebolt photo policy has changed and you can now post pictures along with your story in the same post. Just follow the directions on the left hand side of your screen.
Thank you for the info John, I wasn't sure how that all worked and didn't want to make the powers that be mad. I'm not a fan of photobucket at all, so I'm also open to suggestions on that front as well for more pictures and as the resurrection progresses.
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Interesting story. The front fenders on my X 39 looked a lot like yours. A bunch of tapping, welding and massaging had them looking not too bad. I did end up swapping one out later on for a better fender.