The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Hotrod Lincoln, papas52, AD8, Greg Brown, fonz8261, Pat66), 110 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,487
Posts956,736
Members43,414
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Prep for Floorboard Insulation
#1337707 Sun Dec 15 2019 03:55 AM
B
Shop Shark
Before I install the floorboard insulation in my 1953 GMC how should I cover any holes I’m not using in the firewall/floorboard ? I hope it doesn’t entail welding metal to cover any holes.

Re: Prep for Floorboard Insulation
buckaroo01 #1337715 Sun Dec 15 2019 11:20 AM
C
Shop Shark
We use 3M Panel Bond. It is stronger than a weld and no warping. It does have to be on bare metal. Rough up the patch and about an inch around the hole with 36 grit, use enough Panel Bond so it squeezes out around the edges as this will prevent any water from getting in the seam and causing rust, stick together and let set over night. If where visible smear a swipe of bondo over the patch and sand smooth.

1949 AD firewall with bonded patches done 16 years ago:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/T5xnpnCk/dan-s-49-011.jpg[/img]

1930 Model A with bonded steel top done 5 years ago:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/p9qDpmgx/IMG-4335.jpg[/img]

Evan
Re: Prep for Floorboard Insulation
buckaroo01 #1337767 Sun Dec 15 2019 11:00 PM
Master Gabster
When the trucks came off of the assembly line, many hole where not used. There was an adhesive backed sound deadening/insulation mat which was applied to the inside of the cab which covered all of the unused holes. Incidentally, this mat was applied after the exterior was painted, As a result, everywhere there was an unused hole, they showed up as black which was the color of the adhesive.
Carl

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop