The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy New Year

A New Year
A New Decade
A New Vision

Ring in the new with some quality time with your old truck! A great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!
The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (J Lucas, 37 GC, Johnny N, David C., BC59, 1 invisible), 316 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,110
Posts935,690
Members42,781
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Frustrating Cowl Vent [Re: 47PUJim] #1337558 Fri Dec 13 2019 11:33 PM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
I battled a "cowl vent" leak for 5 years on my '50, (an older restoration), only to discover a small rust hole in the front of the groove where the seal is. It was too high to be sealed by the seal and would only be visible from a helicopter's view. I discovered it recently while stripping paint and removing rust to stop further deterioration of metal in that area.

Re: Frustrating Cowl Vent [Re: 47PUJim] #1337774 Sun Dec 15 2019 11:46 PM
1Ton_tommy Offline
Shop Shark
I have had the same leak problem. It has turned out to be actually two problems. One is the seal. The adjustment has cured that problem. I took the glovebox out to give me access without lying under the dash and used a quarter-drive ratchet, a long extension and a 3/8" socket. I was able to get enough squeeze on the new seal.

The other problem was that the drain hose that comes out the bottom was leaking between the rubber the metal where it joins the drain. The leak would soak my right pant leg and my right shoe. This leak was because of rust on the metal. It's in a nearly impossible place to do anything about the rust so I smeared a little RTV silicone sealer on the inside of the hose and slipped it on -- not without some effort though. Hopefully the RTV will keep water from further rusting the metal of the drain. I have since quit driving it in winter because our state has started using calcium chloride as a de-icer but in Western Washington it rains in summer too. Now on to getting the windshield to not leak.

51 3800 PU, 55 235 (w/cam, headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop