The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy New Year

A New Year
A New Decade
A New Vision

Ring in the new with some quality time with your old truck! A great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!
The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (dougs, Hotrod Lincoln, 3B, bowtietim, Boilermaker82, 2 invisible), 654 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,145
Posts936,036
Members42,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Engine performance [Re: dgrinnan] #1337424 Thu Dec 12 2019 07:08 PM
D
dgrinnan Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Re: Engine performance [Re: dgrinnan] #1337454 Fri Dec 13 2019 01:09 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Given that you have done next to nothing to the engine for 3 years, think about this.
Before you dig into the carburetor:
-Check to see if the flapper valve in the manifold is free and that the bi-metallic spring is in place and in good working order.
-When you start it when the engine is cold, pull the choke out where you normally do, and pull the throttle out a bit to provide for RPM above idle (650-700ish). Once the engine starts, slowly push the choke in with the goal of pushing it all of the way is within less than thirty seconds. The above mentioned throttle knob position should provide for enough gas to keep the engine running well.
Doing these things may solve your problem without having to dig into a perfectly functioning carburetor.
How does it run once it it warmed up?
Does it leave black marks on the pavement once it is thoroughly warmed up by driving it around for a while?
Carl

Last edited by 52Carl; Fri Dec 13 2019 01:09 AM.
Re: Engine performance [Re: dgrinnan] #1337458 Fri Dec 13 2019 01:36 AM
D
dgrinnan Offline OP
Shop Shark
It runs great once it is warmed up. Two contributing factors. The flapper valve in the manifold is stuck and the throttle cable doesn't work. I will see about getting them functional before doing anything ekse.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Re: Engine performance [Re: dgrinnan] #1337468 Fri Dec 13 2019 02:43 AM
03marauderman Offline
Shop Shark
On my perfectly running C30 with a 292....I use Startron with every fill-up of non ethanol gas...... From my weed whacker, to my one ton....everything gets a Startron cocktail.....

Re: Engine performance [Re: dgrinnan] #1337567 Sat Dec 14 2019 12:08 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by dgrinnan
It runs great once it is warmed up. Two contributing factors. The flapper valve in the manifold is stuck and the throttle cable doesn't work. I will see about getting them functional before doing anything ekse.

You are now on Easy Street!
Fix that throttle cable and you will be able to warm up your engine with the throttle cable out a smidgen and the choke knob all the way in as described in the Operator's Manual. No more over-rich condition.
Since it runs fine once warmed up, I'll bet the flapper valve is stuck in the closed position. That is a livable situation for now.

Carl
Eh hm, "Its never the carburetor." smile

Last edited by 52Carl; Sat Dec 14 2019 12:10 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop