The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy New Year

A New Year
A New Decade
A New Vision

Ring in the new with some quality time with your old truck! A great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!
The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 512 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,114
Posts935,754
Members42,781
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
More equipment to haul! #1334593 Thu Nov 21 2019 05:29 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline OP
Boltergeist
Well, friends and neighbors- - - - -it looks like I'm about to be the proud owner of - - - -count 'em- - - -TWO crankshaft grinders! I've got a "dismantled- - - -parts missing" Storm-Vulcan Model 15A crank grinder waiting to be picked up in Lubbock Texas, and I'm in the process of closing a deal on the same model machine in North Carolina that's complete and in running condition. Now I've got to get over this crippled-up right hand as soon as possible, and get on the road with my trailer! I'm hoping to take possession of both machines before Christmas. Those long-stroke 235's and 261's I've got on the drawing board just might be a step or two closer to becoming a reality, as well as that destroked 283/305 hybrid I've been thinking about for quite a while. At the prices I'm getting these machines, they should break even with just a few modified crankshafts, given the cost of machine shop work these days!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: More equipment to haul! [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1334598 Thu Nov 21 2019 10:52 AM
P
Pat66 Offline
Shop Shark
Congratulations Jerry, these peices couldn't fall in more capable hands. I'm excited for you, Pat

Re: More equipment to haul! [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1334624 Thu Nov 21 2019 03:56 PM
A
Apache1 Offline
Shop Shark
Road Trip....you only need one good hand to drive drive lol

Good Luck!

1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside SWB (Shop Truck) (modified)

Re: More equipment to haul! [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1337421 Thu Dec 12 2019 06:48 PM
H
Boltergeist
Halfway there- - - -almost! The grinder from NC is sitting on my trailer at home, after an unbelievably difficult job of snaking it out of the shop over there and trying to get it lifted onto the trailer. The first boom truck I hired couldn't lift the machine- - - - -those suckers are HEAVY! I finally hired a big rig that's used to recover overturned 18-wheelers, and with a little monkey motion we got the machine loaded. The fact that there was anywhere from a misty drizzle to a moderate amount of rainfall all day Tuesday didn't help at all! I finished up loading all the peripheral stuff Wednesday morning and drove 500-something miles home after discovering a sheet metal screw in a trailer tire and buying a replacement tire.

Now the trick is going to be getting the cotton-pickin' thing offloaded, as the terrain around the shop where it needs to go won't be suitable for one of those big boom trucks to maneuver enough to handle it. I'm going to fabricate some heavy duty rollers to bolt to the machine base and hire a big rollback wrecker to transfer it from my trailer onto the rollback, and roll it off into my shop. Once it's on concrete, jacks and muscle power will get it into its final location.

Now to do the same thing in Texas, but the people there move these things frequently- - - -they should be better equipped to do the loading, at least!
Jerry

Re: More equipment to haul! [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1337435 Thu Dec 12 2019 10:22 PM
J
John Milliman Offline
Founder/Developer
Wow Jerry ... brings back memories of the ODSS members helping Grigg move a bunch of machine shop equipment ... Talk about monkey motion ...

As Archimedes said, ""Give me a place to stand, and I shall move the world" smile You'll get it done, I have no doubt.

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Re: More equipment to haul! [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1337436 Thu Dec 12 2019 10:24 PM
J
J Lucas Offline
Shop Shark
Here is what we use to move machines around our shop with. I noticed you can rent them pretty cheaply. This set of 4 will move 8 tons. There's much more heavy duty sets available.

John

Attached Files
Hillman 1.JPG (216.16 KB, 113 downloads)
Hillman 2.JPG (224.78 KB, 112 downloads)
Hillman 3.JPG (138.44 KB, 111 downloads)
Last edited by J Lucas; Thu Dec 12 2019 10:26 PM.

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos!

Re: More equipment to haul! [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1337445 Thu Dec 12 2019 11:50 PM
H
Boltergeist
That's how we got it out the door of the shop. The ones I rented should have been scrapped some time ago- - - - -they were worn out and sloppy- - - -kept trying to slip out of place! We finally got one end of the machine on the rollers and pulled/slid it about 50 feet to the back door of the shop with a too-small forklift. This thing is about 8 feet long by 3 feet wide, and is mostly cast iron- - - - -about 4,000 Lbs. worth, I believe! Search "Storm-Vulcan Model 15A" on Ebay to get a look at what we were dealing with.
Jerry

Re: More equipment to haul! [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1337455 Fri Dec 13 2019 01:18 AM
J
J Lucas Offline
Shop Shark
Yeah, it looks like it might weigh a little more than that. One thing I learned many years ago about moving machinery, never steel on steel, always put some wood in between.
Great score Jerry. thumbs_up

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos!

Re: More equipment to haul! [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1337465 Fri Dec 13 2019 02:20 AM
H
Boltergeist
I just made an offer on a new set of machinery skates on Ebay- - - - -imports, not Hillman brand, but they look like they might work for my purposes. Just a few rental costs will pay for the ones I'm looking at.
Jerry

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop