Forty9, Remove bulb. Just below bulb is the mercury switch. Use a magnet if it's mounted on hood. Or turn it upside down, it should just fall into your hand. See my first post picture of my hand. That is the mercury switch. Todd
Last edited by Shaffer's1950; Mon Dec 09 2019 11:05 PM.
Exactly. Don't think my unit is a Hobbs as it doesn't have an in line fuse. My mercury switch is rounded on one end, with a pip or nipple on the other. If anybody can find a source for these let us know.
Unfortunately there is a non-metallic/fiber washer at the base of my light socket with a hole for the bulb positive contact to go through. I hesitate to pry this washer out as it's very tight and I don't want to break it. It is a Hobbs light but someone may have modified it. I can get it to work if I tap on the bulb or housing. Maybe just one of those things. Thanks for the help.
Took mine to a long time electronics repair shop. Does radios, TVs with tubes and all sorts of home electronics. He checked the mercury switch and it works perfectly. As it was Christmas week he closed but told me he could fix it. We'll see next week. If anybody can he can. For those of you with a switch, remove the bulb and look into the socket and tell me if you see one of those brown plastic-type discs sitting on top of the mercury switch. I am sure mine had one but somehow it got out and lost and am wondering if it was meant to insulate the mercury switch body from the bulb.